From: pdel
Subject: GCL not working ( or operator error )
I just compiled gcl 2.2.2 with gcc version 2.7.2

GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  Version(2.2.2) Mon Apr 12 12:31:35 MDT 1999
Licensed under GNU Public Library License
Contains Enhancements by W. Schelter

--------
BTW, am a lisp beginner.

The compile completed, so why don't 'while' loops work?

>( setq ctr 10 )
10

>( while ( > ctr 0 )
(list ctr)
( decf ctr 1 )
)

Error: The function WHILE is undefined.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by EVAL.
Broken at EVAL.  Type :H for Help.

thx for any help.
pd

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: GCL not working ( or operator error )
pdel <····@central.sun.com> writes:

> The compile completed, so why don't 'while' loops work?
>
> >( setq ctr 10 )
> 10
>
> >( while ( > ctr 0 )
> (list ctr)
> ( decf ctr 1 )
> )
>
> Error: The function WHILE is undefined.

GNU Common Lisp is not GNU Emacs Lisp.
I don't know GNU Emacs Lisp very well, but I'm guessing
the problem is somehow related to that.

Certainly it's true that Common Lisp has no "while" operator.

Try
 (loop while <test> do <something>)
From: pdel
In article <···············@world.std.com>,
  Kent M Pitman <······@world.std.com> wrote:
> pdel <····@central.sun.com> writes:
>
> > The compile completed, so why don't 'while' loops work?
> >
> > >( setq ctr 10 )
> > 10
> >
> > >( while ( > ctr 0 )
> > (list ctr)
> > ( decf ctr 1 )
> > )
> >
> > Error: The function WHILE is undefined.
>
> GNU Common Lisp is not GNU Emacs Lisp.
> I don't know GNU Emacs Lisp very well, but I'm guessing
> the problem is somehow related to that.
>
> Certainly it's true that Common Lisp has no "while" operator.
>
> Try
>  (loop while <test> do <something>)

Kent,

Boy am I glad I qualified my question with ( or operator error ) .

I've got an Interleaf Lisp book, as well as the Graham,
and it must be the Interleaf Lisp that uses the ( while ).

Thx for the info

pd