From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Re: time zone range
* Sam Steingold <···@goems.com>
| It seems that [-12;12] would be quite enough at the moment.

  does the the interval �24 cause you problems of any kind?

  BTW, with daylight savings time, Auckland, Australia, is +13.

#:Erik

From: ··········@scientia.com
In article <················@naggum.no>,
  Erik Naggum <····@naggum.no> wrote:

>   BTW, with daylight savings time, Auckland, Australia, is +13.

Auckland is in New Zealand.

From: Erik Naggum
* ··········@scientia.com
| Auckland is in New Zealand.

  yup.  mea culpa.  (Eric Marsden corrected me privately, too.)

#:Erik
From: Erik Naggum
* Sam Steingold <···@goems.com>
| What is this character: "�"?
| GNU Emacs 20.3.8.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) displays it as a black
| rectangle.  [mule be damned]

  � is the PLUS-MINUS SIGN in the ISO 10646 nomenclature.

  (when real mules break something, don't they get shot? :)

#:Erik
From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: international characters (was: Re: time zone range)
Sam Steingold <···@goems.com> asked:

> >>   does the the interval �24 cause you problems of any kind?
>
> What is this character: "�"?
> GNU Emacs 20.3.8.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) displays it as a black
> rectangle.  [mule be damned]

XEmacs 19.11 displays it as a minus sign under a plus sign. If GNU Emacs
can't tell you what it is, CLISP can:

  [1]> (describe #\�)

   #\U00B1 is a character.
  Unicode name: PLUS-MINUS SIGN
  It is a printable character.
  Its use is non-portable.

Using ISO-8859-1 characters literally in news posting is frequently done
by Europeans (like Erik and me), but it is unfair towards Asian people
whose characters cannot be expressed in ISO-8859-1. Erik, I think we should
start encoding our news messages in UTF-8.

                    Bruno                       http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/
From: Kent M Pitman
······@clisp.cons.org (Bruno Haible) writes:

> > What is this character: "�"?
> > GNU Emacs 20.3.8.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) displays it as a black
> > rectangle.  [mule be damned]
>
> XEmacs 19.11 displays it as a minus sign under a plus sign. If GNU Emacs
> can't tell you what it is, CLISP can:

I see it as \261.  This whole conversation has been incomprehensible.
From: Erik Naggum
* ······@clisp.cons.org (Bruno Haible)
| Using ISO-8859-1 characters literally in news posting is frequently done
| by Europeans (like Erik and me), but it is unfair towards Asian people
| whose characters cannot be expressed in ISO-8859-1.  Erik, I think we
| should start encoding our news messages in UTF-8.

  using UTF-8 isn't such a bad idea, but it requries identification of the
  character set and the encoding for both communication partners to know
  what to do, and when we have to do that, anyway, there isn't much more to
  this than to identify the character set in the first place.  I should've
  done that, and once I have time to switch context back to Emacs Lisp,
  I'll fix it.

#:Erik