From: �L�~��
Subject: LISP programs as DLLs or COMs
Hi,

I want to freely distribute educational softwares that was develped in MS
Visual Basic.
Now that I want to enhance the softwares with LISP AI  codes, I wonder if
any one
can give me comments on how can I compile LISP codes into DLLs or COMs on
MS Windows platforms(NT, 98, 95)?

Allegro CL seems to have a runtime environment, which LISP codes can run on
without the developing environment.  However, purchasing the edition with
the runtime
cost over US$1000, that is not affordable for us.  Suggestions will be
appreciated.

Thank you!

Daniel Lin

From: Arthur Lemmens
Subject: Re: LISP programs as DLLs or COMs
> I wonder if any one can give me comments on how can I compile
> LISP codes into DLLs or COMs on MS Windows platforms(NT, 98, 95)?

> Allegro CL seems to have a runtime environment, which LISP codes can
> run on without the developing environment.  However, purchasing the
> edition with the runtime cost over US$1000, that is not affordable
> for us.

Harlequin's Lispworks for Windows (http://www.harlequin.com) can
build DLLs. Their Professional Edition costs less than US$1000
(I think it's somewhere between $600 and $800).

The manual for Corman Common Lisp (http://corman.net/CommonLisp.html)
says: "Corman Lisp is built as an in-process COM server". It costs
about $100.

I've never built Lisp DLLs or COMs myself. I just build EXE-files
using Lispworks for Windows.

I hope this helps.

Arthur Lemmens
From: George J. Carrette
in message <··························@daniel>...
>Hi,
>
>I want to freely distribute educational softwares that was develped in MS
>Visual Basic.
>Now that I want to enhance the softwares with LISP AI  codes...

Because of the high processor speeds of the typical NT,98,95 platforms you
may not need to go to native-machine-code DLL's in order to get the
effective packaging that you want. If you are an experienced Visual Basic
programmer then you may do as well to use a lisp interpreter which is
available as a DLL and which you may invoke from Visual Basic as needed. The
lisp code can then be distributed in your application as a data file that
gets loaded at runtime. It is not pretty, but it works.

The windows port of siod at http://people.delphi.com/gjc/winsiod.html was
set up with Windows compatible entry points for that very purpose. There are
other lisp interpreters that you might find more suitable for your purposes,
especially if you are porting existing lisp code. But SIOD illustrates the
technique very well, even to the point of providing a compiler that produces
EXE files that are in fact bootstrap files to call back into the
interpreter.
From: Christopher R. Barry
"�L�~��" <···@src.ncu.edu.tw> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to freely distribute educational softwares that was develped in MS
> Visual Basic.
> Now that I want to enhance the softwares with LISP AI  codes, I wonder if
> any one
> can give me comments on how can I compile LISP codes into DLLs or COMs on
> MS Windows platforms(NT, 98, 95)?
>
> Allegro CL seems to have a runtime environment, which LISP codes can run on
> without the developing environment.  However, purchasing the edition with
> the runtime
> cost over US$1000, that is not affordable for us.  Suggestions will be
> appreciated.

I believe CLISP under Windows has the ability to generate an image
containing only the stuff you need, though it can't compile to
DLL/COM. It has a very small footprint for a Common Lisp and is free
software. Harlequin has more reasonable licensing costs (I believe
under $1000 + no runtime royalties) and the ability to compile to
DLLs.

Christopher