From: Sunil Mishra
Subject: Critique on tutorial?
Hi all,

I'm putting together a tutorial (it's going to be a series of at least
three documents, only the first is done) for some students that do not know
lisp, and need a *quick* start. What I have so far is a brief overview of
some of the basic constructs of the language.

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/classes/cs3361_99_spring/lisp/lisp.html

Now that I've started this, I thought it might be good to flesh out the
tutorial so that a student could learn something from it independently. (I
had the opportunity to run the students through a session, and then point
them to this document once they had some of the basic ideas down.) One of
the things that is obviously missing is a references section, with links to
other relevant sites on the net.

There will be at least two more parts to this tutorial:

1. A discussion of priority queues using list operations. This will
   introduce many of the list destructuring/searching/construction
   operators in lisp, and a comparison of loop vs recursion.

2. An example demonstrating the construction of a full-fledged program. I
   shall go over the construction of a program that manages a Mankala
   board, and discuss the choices I made when writing the program. (Note
   that I will not include the minimax algorithm that actually plays the
   game, since that is an assignment for the students.)

If some of you could give me your impressions of this tutorial (you know,
the good, the bad and the ugly), I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Sunil