From: Eric Dahlman
Subject: Help: XL1201 + new hard drive = What next?
Hi all,

Well this past weekend I decided that I would invest $5.33 in a 1 GIG
SCSI drive for my Symbolics XL1201. I was able to get the thing hooked
up and formatted and I created the FEP file system.  Up to this point all
is well but now I am running up against my lack of knowledge of LipsM
internal operations and I am not sure where I need to go from here.

I would like to shift as much of the system off of the internal ESDI
drive onto the "new" SCSI drive but I have not got the slightest clue
of what I need to do to accomplish this.  I have been looking at the
installation docs but they seem to be geared toward getting the
system to install off of the original tapes onto the ESDI drive.
Basically I think that I need to do the following:

	1) make files in the FEP file system for swap and the LMFS.
		How do I do this? What would be good sizes for these?

	2) copy the files needed by the FEP over to the new drive.
		Again how do I do this? Safely?

	3) change the hello files FEP0 to point to FEP10 (the SCSI
		disk). Again how can I do this safely.  And can I fix
		it if I configure something wrong?

Ideally, I would like to have the whole system run only from the SCSI
drive to minimize wear and tear on the ESDI drive.  Is that possible?
If the ESDI drive gives up the ghost could the system go on
functioning just using the SCSI drive?

Personally, I would just like to mess with it until I figured out what
I need to do but I am somewhat weary since I only have one machine.
If I break something I cannot hook the drive up to another working
machine and fix it.  So then all I would have is a tragically cool
boat anchor. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Eric Dahlman
·······@cs.colostate.edu
From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Help: XL1201 + new hard drive = What next?
In article <··············@saunatonttu.cs.colostate.edu>, Eric Dahlman
<·······@cs.colostate.edu> wrote:

> I would like to shift as much of the system off of the internal ESDI
> drive onto the "new" SCSI drive but I have not got the slightest clue
> of what I need to do to accomplish this.  I have been looking at the
> installation docs but they seem to be geared toward getting the
> system to install off of the original tapes onto the ESDI drive.
> Basically I think that I need to do the following:
>
>         1) make files in the FEP file system for swap and the LMFS.
>                 How do I do this? What would be good sizes for these?

Create FEP File
Create Initial Fep Filesystem

Depends how much space you need. ;-)  My MacIvory has 63.5 M
works swap space and I can add more swap space if needed.
The LMFS - hmm - make it >300 MB - whatever - you can
add partitions later.

>         2) copy the files needed by the FEP over to the new drive.
>                 Again how do I do this? Safely?

Copy File, Copy Flod Files, etc. I guess there no safety problem
here.

>         3) change the hello files FEP0 to point to FEP10 (the SCSI
>                 disk). Again how can I do this safely.  And can I fix
>                 it if I configure something wrong?

Use the editor. If you got something wrong -> boot manually
(maybe using old files). Since the Symbolics
has a versioned file system, old files usually stay around until
you expunge them.

> Ideally, I would like to have the whole system run only from the SCSI
> drive to minimize wear and tear on the ESDI drive.  Is that possible?
> If the ESDI drive gives up the ghost could the system go on
> functioning just using the SCSI drive?

I think this should be possible.

You should get more info if you ask at ····@ai.sri.com.nospamatall .
This is the Symbolics Lisp Users Group - a very helpful bunch of
fans.

Most of the info you need actually is in the docs (although
a little cross reading is necessary). You always
should be able to boot the machine from the FEP manually.