From: Johan Kullstam
Subject: build fail for cmucl on linux - please help me
i wish to put common lisp on my linux machine but i am having trouble
rebuilding cmucl 18b.  i have a x86 box with glibc-2.0.7 (redhat 5.1).

i have
3490672 Jul 20 21:12 cmucl-18b.source.tgz
6022585 Sep 17 22:14 cmucl-x86.linux.longfloat.tgz

and i looked at the instructions from herr cracauer.  unfortunately
his script does not work on my machine.

i installed the cmucl binary and have gotten it to run.  however, it's
a libc5 binary and i wish to convert the `lisp' program to libc6.

specifically, the failure is at the line in the script which reads:

lisp < ../../cracauer/build-the-subsystems.lisp

i get a failure and cannot figure out how to continue.

and here is a log of the error:

sophia(lisp)$ lisp < ../../cracauer/build-the-subsystems.lisp
CMU Common Lisp 18b 980408, running on sophia.idt.net
Send bug reports and questions to ··········@cs.cmu.edu.
Loaded subsystems:
    Python 1.0, target Intel x86
*
*
*

Warning: This function is undefined:
  C::ASSEMBLE-FILE
target:code/struct

Start time: Friday, 9/18/98 11:41:06 pm [+0], compiling target:code/struct.

Python version 1.0, VM version Intel x86 on 18 SEP 98 11:41:06 pm.
Compiling: /home/jk/Src/cmucl-src/code/struct.lisp 23 JUN 98 11:22:33 am

Comment: $Header: /b/cmucl/CVS-cmucl//src/code/struct.lisp,v 1.19.2.1 1998/06/23 11:22:33 pw Exp $

Compiling DEFTYPE IN-BUFFER-TYPE:

Error in function FIND-CLASS:  Class not yet defined:
  LISP-STREAM

Restarts:
  0: [CONTINUE] Blow this file
  1:            Return NIL from load of "target:tools/worldcom".
  2: [ABORT   ] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

(FIND-CLASS LISP-STREAM T #<unused-arg>)
Source:
; File: target:code/class.lisp

; File has been modified since compilation:
;   target:code/class.lisp
; Using form offset instead of character position.
(ERROR "Class not yet defined:~%  ~S" NAME)
0]

i have no idea on what to do at this point.  please help.

--
Johan Kullstam [·······@idt.net] Don't Fear the Penguin!

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: build fail for cmucl on linux - please help me

Johan> i wish to put common lisp on my linux machine but i am having
Johan> trouble rebuilding cmucl 18b.  i have a x86 box with
Johan> glibc-2.0.7 (redhat 5.1).

[snip]

Johan> i installed the cmucl binary and have gotten it to run.
Johan> however, it's a libc5 binary and i wish to convert the `lisp'
Johan> program to libc6.

The current sources for 18b will not work with libc6.  You need to
patch the sources.  However, I think 18b works just fine with libc5
which comes with redhat 5.1.

For more info, send mail to ·········@cons.org, or look at
www.cons.org.

Ray
From: Johan Kullstam
Raymond Toy <···@rtp.ericsson.se> writes:

> Johan> i wish to put common lisp on my linux machine but i am having
> Johan> trouble rebuilding cmucl 18b.  i have a x86 box with
> Johan> glibc-2.0.7 (redhat 5.1).

> Johan> i installed the cmucl binary and have gotten it to run.
> Johan> however, it's a libc5 binary and i wish to convert the `lisp'
> Johan> program to libc6.
>
> The current sources for 18b will not work with libc6.  You need to
> patch the sources.  However, I think 18b works just fine with libc5
> which comes with redhat 5.1.

the libc-18b won't run right.  i never get so far as to fire up the
lisp exectuable i built myself from the C source.  i get all kinds of
fails during worldcom where the old lisp is recompiling a lisp.core
for me.

specifically it moans about not having LISP-STREAM.  i don't really
what provides that nor how to add it.  random grepping of the source
has been less than enlightening.

> For more info, send mail to ·········@cons.org, or look at
> www.cons.org.

well, i looked all over the site but didn't find much.  i'll give the
mailing list a try.

> Ray

thanks for the pointers.

--
Johan Kullstam [·······@idt.net] Don't Fear the Penguin!
From: Mike McDonald
In article <··············@sophia.idt.net>,
	Johan Kullstam <·······@idt.net> writes:

>> Johan> i wish to put common lisp on my linux machine but i am having
>> Johan> trouble rebuilding cmucl 18b.  i have a x86 box with
>> Johan> glibc-2.0.7 (redhat 5.1).
>
>> Johan> i installed the cmucl binary and have gotten it to run.
>> Johan> however, it's a libc5 binary and i wish to convert the `lisp'
>> Johan> program to libc6.
>>
>> The current sources for 18b will not work with libc6.  You need to
>> patch the sources.  However, I think 18b works just fine with libc5
>> which comes with redhat 5.1.
>
> the libc-18b won't run right.  i never get so far as to fire up the
> lisp exectuable i built myself from the C source.  i get all kinds of
> fails during worldcom where the old lisp is recompiling a lisp.core
> for me.
>
> specifically it moans about not having LISP-STREAM.  i don't really
> what provides that nor how to add it.  random grepping of the source
> has been less than enlightening.

  What version of CMUCL are you using to compile 18B with? LISP-STREAM is the
basis of the Grey stream implementation where all streams are CLOS based.
Inorder to get from a non LISP-STREAM version to one that does include it, you
have to "cross compile" an image, even to the same architecture. That's what
I'm currently involved with in trying to get the HP-UX version upgraded to 18B
from 18A. See the file cmucl-dtc.src.tgz for scripts on cross compiling CMUCL.
None of this helps with libc6, of course.

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com
From: Johan Kullstam
·······@teleport.com (Mike McDonald) writes:

>   What version of CMUCL are you using to compile 18B with? LISP-STREAM is the
> basis of the Grey stream implementation where all streams are CLOS based.
> Inorder to get from a non LISP-STREAM version to one that does include it, you
> have to "cross compile" an image, even to the same architecture. That's what
> I'm currently involved with in trying to get the HP-UX version upgraded to 18B
> from 18A. See the file cmucl-dtc.src.tgz for scripts on cross compiling CMUCL.
> None of this helps with libc6, of course.

i am using a binary which purports to be 18b - i.e., when i run it, it
says it's a cmucl 18b.

the files i am using are:

-rw-r--r--   1 jk jk 3490672 Jul 20 21:12 cmucl-18b.source.tgz
-rw-r--r--   1 jk jk 6022585 Sep 17 22:14 cmucl-x86.linux.longfloat.tgz

and i got them from ftp2.cons.org (aka ftp.cdrom.com) in directories:

/.24/languages/lisp/cmucl/release/
/.24/languages/lisp/cmucl/experimental/

respectively.

perhaps i should try version 18a?

--
Johan Kullstam [·······@idt.net] Don't Fear the Penguin!
From: William Edward Webber
Johan Kullstam <·······@idt.net> wrote:
> ·······@teleport.com (Mike McDonald) writes:

> i am using a binary which purports to be 18b - i.e., when i run it, it
> says it's a cmucl 18b.

> the files i am using are:

> -rw-r--r--   1 jk jk 3490672 Jul 20 21:12 cmucl-18b.source.tgz
> -rw-r--r--   1 jk jk 6022585 Sep 17 22:14 cmucl-x86.linux.longfloat.tgz

> and i got them from ftp2.cons.org (aka ftp.cdrom.com) in directories:

> /.24/languages/lisp/cmucl/release/
> /.24/languages/lisp/cmucl/experimental/

> respectively.

> perhaps i should try version 18a?

Peter Van Eynde (sp?) has put together a Debian package of a binary made on
July 1 and also has placed a snapshot of the source it was built from on
Debian ftp sites (sorry, don't have an exact URL).  (Thanks Peter!).  I had
no trouble rebuilding a libc6 binary using this combination.  (BTW it
describes itself as "18a+".)  Use "alien" to convert the .deb package if
you're on an .rpm system (but I think there is a converted package at
www.cons.org).

HTH,

William

--
William Webber     RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia     ···@cs.rmit.edu.au
  "'This tree is certainly good for nothing,' said Tzu Chi. 'This is why it
From: Mike McDonald
In article <············@emu.cs.rmit.edu.au>,
	William Edward Webber <···@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au> writes:
> Johan Kullstam <·······@idt.net> wrote:
>> ·······@teleport.com (Mike McDonald) writes:
>
>> i am using a binary which purports to be 18b - i.e., when i run it, it
>> says it's a cmucl 18b.
>
>> the files i am using are:
>
>> -rw-r--r--   1 jk jk 3490672 Jul 20 21:12 cmucl-18b.source.tgz
>> -rw-r--r--   1 jk jk 6022585 Sep 17 22:14 cmucl-x86.linux.longfloat.tgz
>
>> and i got them from ftp2.cons.org (aka ftp.cdrom.com) in directories:
>
>> /.24/languages/lisp/cmucl/release/
>> /.24/languages/lisp/cmucl/experimental/
>
>> respectively.

  Sure would be nice if there were 18B packages for Linux and FreeBSD in the
released directory, would it!

>> perhaps i should try version 18a?

  That's what I'm having to do for the HP-UX port. Unfortunately, compiling
CMUCL isn't for the faint of heart.

> Peter Van Eynde (sp?) has put together a Debian package of a binary made on
> July 1 and also has placed a snapshot of the source it was built from on
> Debian ftp sites (sorry, don't have an exact URL).  (Thanks Peter!).  I had
> no trouble rebuilding a libc6 binary using this combination.  (BTW it
> describes itself as "18a+".)  Use "alien" to convert the .deb package if
> you're on an .rpm system (but I think there is a converted package at
> www.cons.org).
>
> HTH,
>
> William

  It's at
ftp://ftp2.cons.org/pub/languages/lisp/cmucl/experimental/Linux/rpm-format/
but I have no idea what version 2.4.5-2 is! It's dated July 1 so that may be
Peter's stuff.

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com
From: Raymond Toy

>>> perhaps i should try version 18a?

Mike>   That's what I'm having to do for the HP-UX port. Unfortunately, compiling
Mike> CMUCL isn't for the faint of heart.

I have a 18b version for Linux with the new Grey streams support
compiled in.  However, it's for libc5.  I haven't tried libc6 yet, and
don't plan on it soon, but perhaps that will change if I can't get a
libc5 version to compile on my Redhat 5.1 system.

Mike>   It's at
Mike> ftp://ftp2.cons.org/pub/languages/lisp/cmucl/experimental/Linux/rpm-format/
Mike> but I have no idea what version 2.4.5-2 is! It's dated July 1 so that may be
Mike> Peter's stuff.

Yes, all of those things are Peter's stuff.  Unfortunately I have no
idea what's in them.

Ray
From: Peter Van Eynde
On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:14:46 GMT, Mike McDonald <·······@teleport.com> wrote:
>>> respectively.
>
>  Sure would be nice if there were 18B packages for Linux and FreeBSD in the
>released directory, would it!

It would be, if the "packages" used by the rest of the CMUCL team would fit
with the major Linux distributions. :-( And I _really_ don't have the time
to make 3 packages (libc6 + libc5 + old format).

If there are volunteers?

Groetjes, Peter

--
It's logic Jim, but not as we know it.  ········@debian.org, ········@inthan.com
Look in keyservers for PGP key.
From: David Fox
········@master.inthan.com (Peter Van Eynde) writes:

> >Sure would be nice if there were 18B packages for Linux and FreeBSD in the
> >released directory, would it!
>
> It would be, if the "packages" used by the rest of the CMUCL team would fit
> with the major Linux distributions. :-( And I _really_ don't have the time
> to make 3 packages (libc6 + libc5 + old format).
>
> If there are volunteers?

Tried and failed...
--
David Fox          http://www.cat.nyu.edu/fox		xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab          ·····@cogsci.ucsd.edu          baL ICH DSCU
From: Peter Van Eynde
On 21 Sep 1998 19:49:07 -0400, Johan Kullstam <·······@idt.net> wrote:
>> from 18A. See the file cmucl-dtc.src.tgz for scripts on cross compiling CMUCL.
>> None of this helps with libc6, of course.

libc6 should almost work :-)

There are a few changes in the Makefile I need to send in...

>i am using a binary which purports to be 18b - i.e., when i run it, it
>says it's a cmucl 18b.
>
>the files i am using are:
>
>-rw-r--r--   1 jk jk 3490672 Jul 20 21:12 cmucl-18b.source.tgz
>-rw-r--r--   1 jk jk 6022585 Sep 17 22:14 cmucl-x86.linux.longfloat.tgz
                              ^^^^^

Notice the difference in the dates. CMUCL changes _daily_ and using source and
binary separated by more then a few days is more then likely a hopeless
affair.

My Linux releases use a version number and a "CVS-date" to identify them, get
the CVS tree, do a "CVS checkout -D XXX" and you have almost my source-tree.
I'll try to get my diffs in the tree before I release my next version so there
will be no other patches that you need.

At the moment you could just get the old sources and use the CVS tree and
diff-and-patch your way up-to the current release.

>and i got them from ftp2.cons.org (aka ftp.cdrom.com) in directories:
>
>/.24/languages/lisp/cmucl/release/
>/.24/languages/lisp/cmucl/experimental/

In the
ftp://cvs2.cons.org/pub/lisp/cmucl/experimental/Linux/rpm-format
directory there is a libc6 rpm version, with source. Also there are .deb
packages on every debian mirror (in slink). In the
ftp://cvs2.cons.org/pub/lisp/cmucl/experimental/Linux/old-tag.gz-format
directory there are .tar.gz's for libc5 based systems, also with source.

>perhaps i should try version 18a?

My version is called 18a+ because people complained that I (and others) used
"18b" before it was tagged in the CVS tree. So I decided to go only with
version numbers and dates from now on...

Groetjes, Peter