From: David Steuber "The Interloper
Subject: Adding another OS (SUSE Linux 5.3)
I've given it a lot of thought and decided to take the advice of
people who have suggested getting Linux.  With luck, I'll be able to
make the installation this weekend.  It depends on the overnight order
actually getting to me tomorrow.  I am having it sent to my work
address.  If I don't get it Friday, I have to wait until Monday.
Let's see how fast SUSE is with their order processing.

So to bring this back on topic, what free Common Lisp implementation
that runs on Linux for the x86 is the best to play with, and where do
I download it from?  I am looking for something that is not cripple
ware.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

When the long night comes, return to the end of the beginning.
--- Kosh (???? - 2261 AD) Babylon-5

From: Mike McDonald
Subject: Re: Adding another OS (SUSE Linux 5.3)
In article <··················@news.newsguy.com>,
	········@david-steuber.com (David Steuber "The Interloper") writes:
> I've given it a lot of thought and decided to take the advice of
> people who have suggested getting Linux.  With luck, I'll be able to
> make the installation this weekend.  It depends on the overnight order
> actually getting to me tomorrow.  I am having it sent to my work
> address.  If I don't get it Friday, I have to wait until Monday.
> Let's see how fast SUSE is with their order processing.
>
> So to bring this back on topic, what free Common Lisp implementation
> that runs on Linux for the x86 is the best to play with, and where do
> I download it from?  I am looking for something that is not cripple
> ware.

  IMNSHO, I think there's three choices. There's the free version of Franz'
ACL for Linux available at ftp.franz.com. There's CMUCL available at
www.cons.org/cmucl. And there's CLISP available from I don't know where
anymore. (It recently movedto its own site but I forgot where.) I personally
prefer them in the above order.

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com
From: Raymond Toy

Mike> In article <··················@news.newsguy.com>,
Mike> And there's CLISP available from I don't know where
Mike> anymore. (It recently movedto its own site but I forgot where.) I personally

You can find clisp at clisp.cons.org (among others).

Ray
From: See sig for reply
On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, David Steuber The Interloper wrote:

> So to bring this back on topic, what free Common Lisp implementation
> that runs on Linux for the x86 is the best to play with, and where do
> I download it from?  I am looking for something that is not cripple
> ware.

SuSE 5.2 contains two Lisp packages. So, probability is high that you can
simply install what you want from the 5.3 CDs.

Cheers,
	Detlef.

+++
no archive: yes

--
Detlef Marxsen at 53 27 N 09 57 E.
Due to bad spam experience, my header is faked. To send email to me