From: Lee Yong-Jae
Subject: Is there Layout engine using LISP?
I hope to know about if there is any Layout or typesetting engine (like TeX or
some HTML layout modules) which uses LISP as its core part (like Emacs).

I plan to build a layout system (or typesetting syste; I don't know what's the
appropriate word) which is build on primitive layout elements implemented in
C, and has variuos applicabiliy using a small dialect of lisp. So such an
application can be build up with the engine, like a Web browser-like system
and can do many thing with the portable small lisp (like java or javascript
with web browsers).

Please let me know if there are something related, so that I can escape from
diving into a stone wall with my head :-)

From: see.signature
Subject: Re: Is there Layout engine using LISP?
On 17 Sep 1998 07:54:17 GMT, Lee Yong-Jae <·····@sable.snu.ac.kr> wrote:
>I hope to know about if there is any Layout or typesetting engine (like TeX or
>some HTML layout modules) which uses LISP as its core part (like Emacs).

There is something called markup which uses scheme and as a backend Latex
and html. It is availiable from:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~spot/markup/markup.html.

email: marc dot hoffmann at users dot whh dot wau dot nl
From: Tim Bradshaw
* Lee Yong-Jae wrote:
> I hope to know about if there is any Layout or typesetting engine
> (like TeX or some HTML layout modules) which uses LISP as its core
> part (like Emacs).

This isn't precisely what you are after, but you might look at our
`Formation' system, on which you can find information at:

	http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/project/formation

This is a system for laying out classified directories -- `yellow
pages' -- which was developed here and is now in production use.  (It
is not free.)

--tim

--
Tim Bradshaw, System Manager,
	      Artificial Intelligence Applications Institute,
From: Ola Rinta-Koski
Tim Bradshaw <···@aiai.ed.ac.uk> writes:
> * Lee Yong-Jae wrote:
> > I hope to know about if there is any Layout or typesetting engine
> > (like TeX or some HTML layout modules) which uses LISP as its core
> > part (like Emacs).

> This isn't precisely what you are after, but you might look at our
> `Formation' system, on which you can find information at:
>
> 	http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/project/formation
>
> This is a system for laying out classified directories -- `yellow
> pages' -- which was developed here and is now in production use.  (It
> is not free.)

  Curiously enough, see http://www.vtt.fi/tte/samba/projects/vip/index.htm
for more of the same.

  Disclaimer: It's been quite a long while since I worked on the project.
--
From the Las Vegas Sun: "An Austrian circus dwarf died recently when he
bounced sideways from a trampoline and was swallowed by a hippopotamus. Seven
From: Pierre Mai
·····@sable.snu.ac.kr (Lee Yong-Jae) writes:

> I hope to know about if there is any Layout or typesetting engine
> (like TeX or some HTML layout modules) which uses LISP as its core
> part (like Emacs).

> I plan to build a layout system (or typesetting syste; I don't know
> what's the appropriate word) which is build on primitive layout
> elements implemented in C, and has variuos applicabiliy using a
> small dialect of lisp. So such an application can be build up with
> the engine, like a Web browser-like system and can do many thing
> with the portable small lisp (like java or javascript with web
> browsers).

> Please let me know if there are something related, so that I can
> escape from diving into a stone wall with my head :-)

If you use SGML/XML for the documents structure, then you can use
DSSSL (a descriptive "dialect" of Scheme) for layout control.  Both
SGML and DSSSL are ISO standards.  Jade is a working implementation of
parts of DSSSL, with backends for RTF, TeX and SGML/HTML.

See http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/ for information on SGML and XML,
and links to DSSSL, etc.

Also look for STIL (SGML Transformations in Lisp), which is a simple
start for hooking up SP -- an SGML Parser -- to Common Lisp.

Although DSSSL will probably not suffice for what you want to do (it
seems you want advanced scripting capabilities as well as layout
control), it could be interesting to include (a) DSSSL(-like language)
in your scripting language.

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@cs.tu-berlin.de>	http://home.pages.de/~trillian/
  "Such is life." -- Fiona in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (UK/1994)
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <············@news.kren.nm.kr>, ·····@sable.snu.ac.kr (Lee
Yong-Jae) wrote:

> I hope to know about if there is any Layout or typesetting engine (like TeX or
> some HTML layout modules) which uses LISP as its core part (like Emacs).
>
> I plan to build a layout system (or typesetting syste; I don't know what's the
> appropriate word) which is build on primitive layout elements implemented in
> C, and has variuos applicabiliy using a small dialect of lisp. So such an
> application can be build up with the engine, like a Web browser-like system
> and can do many thing with the portable small lisp (like java or javascript
> with web browsers).
>
> Please let me know if there are something related, so that I can escape from
> diving into a stone wall with my head :-)

The Symbolics Lisp machine has a document generation system called
Concordia. It generates electronic and printed versions.
The 10k+ pages of the Genera docs are written and
produced with Concordia. It should be part of the upcoming
Open Genera 2.0 for DEC Alpha machines.
From: Matt Wette
·····@sable.snu.ac.kr (Lee Yong-Jae) writes:

> I hope to know about if there is any Layout or typesetting engine (like TeX or
> some HTML layout modules) which uses LISP as its core part (like Emacs).

interleaf

--
matthew.r.wette at jpl.nasa.gov -- I speak for myself, not for JPL.
From: Richard Tietjen
·····@sable.snu.ac.kr (Lee Yong-Jae) writes:

> I hope to know about if there is any Layout or typesetting engine (like TeX or
> some HTML layout modules) which uses LISP as its core part (like Emacs).
>
> I plan to build a layout system (or typesetting syste; I don't know what's the
> appropriate word) which is build on primitive layout elements implemented in
> C, and has variuos applicabiliy using a small dialect of lisp. So such an
> application can be build up with the engine, like a Web browser-like system
> and can do many thing with the portable small lisp (like java or javascript
> with web browsers).
>
> Please let me know if there are something related, so that I can escape from
> diving into a stone wall with my head :-)

Joachim Schrod, author of STIL mentioned in this thread, wrote a
prototype of a next-generation TeX in LISP.  Dunno how you'd contact
him, try the TeX user group, www.tug.org and I dunno if the code is
public.
From: Brent A Ellingson
Today, I came across this in comp.lang.lisp.  Does anyone on the TeX
group know more about a possible TeX-like typesetting system in LISP?

Richard Tietjen (········@kale.connix.com) wrote:

: Joachim Schrod, author of STIL mentioned in this thread, wrote a
: prototype of a next-generation TeX in LISP.  Dunno how you'd contact
: him, try the TeX user group, www.tug.org and I dunno if the code is
: public.

--
Brent Ellingson (········@badlands.NoDak.edu)
"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
From: Patrick TJ McPhee

%
% : Joachim Schrod, author of STIL mentioned in this thread, wrote a
% : prototype of a next-generation TeX in LISP.  Dunno how you'd contact
% : him, try the TeX user group, www.tug.org and I dunno if the code is
% : public.

There was a plan to do the n-TeX prototype using CLOS, but my understanding
was that it was never actually written.

--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada
From: D. Margulis
From: Reini Urban
·····@sable.snu.ac.kr (Lee Yong-Jae) wrote:
>Please let me know if there are something related, so that I can escape from
>diving into a stone wall with my head :-)

there's "SchemaText WWW". with a demo downloadable from the web.
"a tool that enables large organizations to handle the
authoring and the maintenance of very large hypertexts and documents"

http://www.schema.de/html-eng/stcs/document/index1.htm
there are almost no english docs.
at http://www.w3.org/Conferences/WWW4/Papers2/145/ is a paper describing
the same system in english.

This is written in  Allegro Common Lisp for Windows 3.02
They are even hiring.

---
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/news/faq/autolisp.html