From: Matthew D Allen
Subject: Code repositories for lisp?
I'm wondering if anybody could point me towards a code repository for
lisp?  I'm starting out in lisp after plenty of experience with C and
java, (as I read in one book and now thoroughly believe, knowing a
procedural language before you learn lisp really is a disadvantage)
and what I'm basically looking for is some sample code to see how
people construct algorithms in contrast to the way it is done in
procedural languages.

If I could just find a few pieces of code that implement simple
programs I would be able to "pull myself up by my bootsraps" and learn
the rest.

Any responses via usenet or via email would be appreciated.

········@titan.vcu.edu

--
http://members.xoom.com/yurtle/index.html
Isabelle stared down into her bowl of Alphabet Soup.  Will I ever find
From: Pierre Mai
Subject: Re: Code repositories for lisp?
········@titan.vcu.edu (Matthew D Allen) writes:

> I'm wondering if anybody could point me towards a code repository for
> lisp?  I'm starting out in lisp after plenty of experience with C and

See the Association of Lisp Users site at
http://www.elwood.com/alu/index.htm, which as a number of pointers to
code repositories.

> If I could just find a few pieces of code that implement simple
> programs I would be able to "pull myself up by my bootsraps" and learn
> the rest.

I'd also suggest the books "ANSI Common Lisp" and "On Lisp" from Paul
Graham, which can give you a good introduction to programming in CL
and CL idioms.  For OOP with CLOS, see also Sonya E. Keene's book[1].

Welcome to the world of Lisp, have fun, and go forth to produce pieces
of art.[2] ;)

Regs, Pierre.

Footnotes:
[1]  All book-data together with reviews can be seen on the ALU's site.

[2]  This is a really, really inacurate quote of Don Knuth in his
TeXbook ;)

--
Pierre Mai <····@cs.tu-berlin.de>	http://home.pages.de/~trillian/
  "Such is life." -- Fiona in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (UK/1994)