From: Magnabyte
Subject: game programming
Can anyone tell if and where I may find info on game programming with
LISP ?
And yes it can and has been done. The game ABUSE from www.crack.com was
written in LISP. I have an interpreter for OS/2 (platform I wish to
write for) and would appreciate any info.

From: Reini Urban
Subject: Re: game programming
Magnabyte <···········@geocities.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell if and where I may find info on game programming with
>LISP ?
>And yes it can and has been done. The game ABUSE from www.crack.com was
>written in LISP. I have an interpreter for OS/2 (platform I wish to
>write for) and would appreciate any info.

abuse is written in c/c++. (90% c compiled as c++)
it just uses a small interpreted lisp for installation, developing,
customization and some highlevel stuff.

BTW: the whole source code of the game is in public domain!
downloadable at www.crack.com, highly recommended!
this is the first lisp i know which is in public domain
(see lisp*.[ch] in ~90kb)
this is probably a good starting point for "the interloper" also.

Note: the default content type there is text/plain, so be sure that you
download it from a unix box, otherwise the tgz will be garbled.
---
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/news/faq/autolisp.html
From: David Steuber "The Interloper
On Sat, 12 Sep 1998 18:59:04 GMT, Reini Urban
<······@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at> claimed or asked:

% BTW: the whole source code of the game is in public domain!
% downloadable at www.crack.com, highly recommended!
% this is the first lisp i know which is in public domain
% (see lisp*.[ch] in ~90kb)
% this is probably a good starting point for "the interloper" also.

The interloper will have a look.  Is this a Common Lisp subset?  Or a
scheme?

If you wrote a program in scheme and called it pyramid, would it be a
pyramid scheme?

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

When the long night comes, return to the end of the beginning.
--- Kosh (???? - 2261 AD) Babylon-5
From: Raymond Toy
    Reini> this is the first lisp i know which is in public domain

CMUCL is truly public domain.  Development started in the early 90's
(?).

Ray
From: Reini Urban
Raymond Toy <···@rtp.ericsson.se> wrote:

> [...]
Reini> this is the first lisp i know which is in public domain

>CMUCL is truly public domain.  Development started in the early 90's
>(?).

of course, sorry. forgot that.

i meant the only "small" lisp which is in public domain.
<smiling about thinking of a game with cmucl as embedded scripting
language. hey, the source tree has only 24mb :)>

usable as possible candidate for a free embedded scripting language,
such as xlisp 1.0 and 1.1, which was in public domain that times,
because david betz forget the copyright header. so that autodesk could
grab it without any problem for AutoLISP. this created a lot of troubles
and new laws on implicit copyright of posted usenet software so that
since that times most "free" (but not pd) lisps/schemes cannot be used
in the way "abuse" used it or any other game developer would like to use
it for their commercial purposes.

if you can really call the abuse-lisp a "lisp" at all.
it has lisp syntax but looks more schemish to me. haven't had enough
time for a deeper look yet.
---