From: David B. Lamkins
Subject: Re: good Lisp learning book?
In article <······················@ripple.salk.edu>, ·····@salkXXX.edu (EJ
Chichilnisky) wrote:

>hi folks,
>
>I use Mac Common Lisp (MCL) for scientific programming in my lab.  I would
>like to have a Lisp tutorial that could be used by smart undergraduates or
>new graduate students to ramp up in Lisp.  I certainly don't want to drop
>Cltl2 into their laps and let them go off the deep end; would rather give
>them a practical introduction so they can get into it.
>
>Does anybody have any suggestions about well-written, practically oriented
>guides to learning Lisp?  For a programming novice and/or someone familiar
>with C programming?

Two books that I recommend for beginners are "Common LISPcraft" by
Wilensky and "A Programmer's Guide to Common Lisp" by Tatar.  These both
take the time to explain and motivate what's going on without being
trivial or patronizing.  For some other capsule reviews, see
<http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins/computer-books.html>.  Also, the ALU
web site, <http://www.elwoodcorp.com/alu/>, has a listing of Lisp books
with brief comments.

--