From: Arthur A. Gleckler
Subject: can't load CLX into CMUCL under SunOS 5.5 (Solaris).
I'm using CMUCL for the first time and am trying to get to the point
where I can run the CLX demos.  I've downloaded and untarred 18b,
including the extras, and I've set CMUCLLIB appropriately.
Unfortunately, I can't get CLX loaded.  I scanned the CLX manual and
the latest archive of <cmucl-imp> but didn't find the answer there, so
I'm hoping someone will give me a quick hint.

Here's what CMUCL says when I start it (please forgive any typos; I've
been forced to transcribe this by hand):

  CMU Common Lisp 18b, running on answernet
  Send questions...
  Loaded subsystems:
      Python 1.0, target SPARCstation/Solaris 2
      CLOC based on PCL version: September 16 92 PCL (f)

In any case, this is what I've tried:

  * (in-package "CLX")

  The package named "CLX" doesn't exist.

I've also tried:

  * (require 'clx)

  Error in KERNEL::UNBOUND-SYMBOL-ERROR-HANDLER:  the variable ··@·····@·@| is unbound.

I've also tried evaluating "clx/defsystem.lisp" via Emacs.  That
works, but invoking LOAD-CLX results in this error:

  * (load-clx)
  Converted CONNECT-TO-SERVER.

  "package" does not exist

Thank you very much for any help.

From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: can't load CLX into CMUCL under SunOS 5.5 (Solaris).
······@zurich.ai.mit.edu (Arthur A. Gleckler) writes:

>I'm using CMUCL for the first time and am trying to get to the point
>where I can run the CLX demos.  I've downloaded and untarred 18b,
>including the extras, and I've set CMUCLLIB appropriately.
>Unfortunately, I can't get CLX loaded.  I scanned the CLX manual and
>the latest archive of <cmucl-imp> but didn't find the answer there, so
>I'm hoping someone will give me a quick hint.

>Here's what CMUCL says when I start it (please forgive any typos; I've
>been forced to transcribe this by hand):

>  CMU Common Lisp 18b, running on answernet
>  Send questions...
>  Loaded subsystems:
>      Python 1.0, target SPARCstation/Solaris 2
>      CLOC based on PCL version: September 16 92 PCL (f)

You need to get the "extra" package from the CMUCL release area, it
contains CLX, CLM and Hemlock.

This Lisp hasn't CLX support loaded, although as the below error
messages show it doesn't know for sure.

Anyway, loading the stuff from the extra package should fix your
problem.

>In any case, this is what I've tried:

>  * (in-package "CLX")

>  The package named "CLX" doesn't exist.

>I've also tried:

>  * (require 'clx)

>  Error in KERNEL::UNBOUND-SYMBOL-ERROR-HANDLER:  the variable ··@·····@·@| is unbound.

This looks like the 18b binary wasn't compiled correctly, probably the
:no-clx in *features* hasn't been consistenly set or unset while
building.

I forwarded your mail to the CMUCL implementors.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer. For email address see a Web searcher.
From: Mike McDonald
In article <·············@zurich.ai.mit.edu>,
	······@zurich.ai.mit.edu (Arthur A. Gleckler) writes:

> In any case, this is what I've tried:
>
>   * (in-package "CLX")
>
>   The package named "CLX" doesn't exist.

  Once you get CLX loaded as per Martin's posting, the package name is XLIB,
not CLX. So you want

  (in-package :xlib)

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com