From: Jim Nolan
Subject: type NUMBER error
Folks,
I am getting the error
"Argument X is not a NUMBER: |GAIA_DISTRIBUTION/CON.63|."
When running some LISP code under CMUCL.  Below is the full output.  I
assume this is probably some basic LISP problem that, being new to this
language, I do not understand.  Any idea on what may be causing this
problem?  CON.63 is an image file.

Thanks,
Jim

------------------------

* (run-gaia 0.69 32 500)

Parameters used for this run.
=============================
Maximum number of Generations:                    32
Size of Population:                               500
Maximum depth of new individuals:                 6
Maximum depth of new subtrees for mutants:        4
Maximum depth of individuals after crossover:     17
Fitness-proportionate reproduction fraction:      0.1
Crossover at any point fraction:                  0.2
Crossover at function points fraction:            0.7
Number of fitness cases:                          53
Selection method:                                 FITNESS-PROPORTIONATE
Generation method:                                RAMPED-HALF-AND-HALF

[GC threshold exceeded with 2,007,048 bytes in use.  Commencing GC.]
[GC completed with 349,024 bytes retained and 1,658,024 bytes freed.]
[GC will next occur when at least 2,349,024 bytes are in use.]

Argument X is not a NUMBER: |GAIA_DISTRIBUTION/CON.63|.

Restarts:
  0: [ABORT] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

(KERNEL:TWO-ARG--
 |GAIA_DISTRIBUTION/CON.63|
 131)
0] ^C

From: rusty craine
Subject: Re: type NUMBER error
Jim Nolan wrote in message <·················@mitre.org>...

>* (run-gaia 0.69 32 500)
I'm sure some of the guys will come up with the right answer, but in the
lisp  (not cmucl) we run we can not mix integer and floats that is if our
functions expect floats we would have to write..

(run-gaia 0.69 32.0 500.0)
as opposed to
(run-gaia 0.60 32 500)

not sure if this is your problem.  Some of these guys will know for sure.
In our endevaors this is a blessing for example if function "power" would
only accept integer arguments and automatically truncated its arguments
without a warning..... example

(power 1.9 4.9)
would really give ya the answer for
(power 1 4)...not good a lot!

forewarning is like foreplay
result are better in the end :) hee hee (sorry)
rusty

From: Mike McDonald
In article <·················@mitre.org>,
	Jim Nolan <······@mitre.org> writes:
> Folks,
> I am getting the error
> "Argument X is not a NUMBER: |GAIA_DISTRIBUTION/CON.63|."

  Well, |GAIA_DISTRIBUTION/CON.63| is a symbol, not a number. So the error
message is correct.

> * (run-gaia 0.69 32 500)
>

> Parameters used for this run.
> =============================
> Maximum number of Generations:                    32
> Size of Population:                               500
> Maximum depth of new individuals:                 6
> Maximum depth of new subtrees for mutants:        4
> Maximum depth of individuals after crossover:     17
> Fitness-proportionate reproduction fraction:      0.1
> Crossover at any point fraction:                  0.2
> Crossover at function points fraction:            0.7
> Number of fitness cases:                          53
> Selection method:                                 FITNESS-PROPORTIONATE
> Generation method:                                RAMPED-HALF-AND-HALF
>
> [GC threshold exceeded with 2,007,048 bytes in use.  Commencing GC.]
> [GC completed with 349,024 bytes retained and 1,658,024 bytes freed.]
> [GC will next occur when at least 2,349,024 bytes are in use.]
>
> Argument X is not a NUMBER: |GAIA_DISTRIBUTION/CON.63|.
>
> Restarts:
>   0: [ABORT] Return to Top-Level.
>
> Debug  (type H for help)
>
> (KERNEL:TWO-ARG--
> |GAIA_DISTRIBUTION/CON.63|
>  131)
> 0] ^C

  Instead of hitting ^C, try gettting a backtrace by entering :back. Then you
can see what code made up the symbol |GAIA_DISTRIBUTION/CON.63| and why it's
trying to subtract 131 from it.

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com
From: Thomas A. Russ
·······@engr.sgi.com (Mike McDonald) writes:

> In article <·················@mitre.org>,
> 	Jim Nolan <······@mitre.org> writes:
> > Folks,
> > I am getting the error
> > "Argument X is not a NUMBER: |GAIA_DISTRIBUTION/CON.63|."
>
>   Well, |GAIA_DISTRIBUTION/CON.63| is a symbol, not a number. So the error
> message is correct.

Hmmm.  This looks almost as if some part of the code were trying to do
arithmetic on something like a version number -- only to have someone
else (presumably) substitute a symbol for what used to be a version
number.