From: Norman Ma
Subject: Re: Who Coined the term ARTIFICIAL Intelligence
Anonymous wrote:
-Norman Ma wrote in message <············@duncan.cs.utk.edu-...
-
--As in a popular movie "Show me the MONEY!" We need to
--remind ourselves daily "Show me the PROGRAM!"
--
----NKM
-

"understanding human intelligence"... that sounds so satisfactory
and warm fuzzy. Can you give me something more specific? For example,
"helping the needy and hungry" is a high-sounding phrase, and an
actionable item is "I'll volunteer at the 4th Street soup kitchen
at 5 O'Clock this Evening."

Moreover, I don't believe weapons are the ONLY possible implementation
of AI.

--NKM

--

--NKM

From: Jim Hunter
Norman Ma wrote:

> Anonymous wrote:
> -Norman Ma wrote in message <············@duncan.cs.utk.edu-...
> -
> --As in a popular movie "Show me the MONEY!" We need to
> --remind ourselves daily "Show me the PROGRAM!"
> --
> ----NKM
> -
> -...
> -SHOW ME THE PROGRAM take AI down the route of guided missile programs and
> -fancy microwaves ovens.  Now, a smart Microwave is not, by far, a bad
> -thing... but it's rather a paltry accomplishment in comparison to
> -understanding human intelligence.  Much less improving upon it.

    You have to distinguish between "human intelligence" and
     "human mental activity". The two may not be the same.

> "understanding human intelligence"... that sounds so satisfactory
> and warm fuzzy. Can you give me something more specific? For example,
> "helping the needy and hungry" is a high-sounding phrase, and an
> actionable item is "I'll volunteer at the 4th Street soup kitchen
> at 5 O'Clock this Evening."
>
> Moreover, I don't believe weapons are the ONLY possible implementation
> of AI.

    Weapons are not. Tracking defensive systems are a good
    use also. Tracking real and imagined UFO's is an AI
    speciality.

   ---
   Jim
From: ····@kana.stanford.edu
Speaking of the person who coined the term A.I., JMC-
he appears in Nov 2 Time Magazine digital supplement dressed as
Hamlet doing a "Dear YoricK" pose with a brain instead of a school.
The Time article is a progress report on Lenat's CYC company.

From: Bloxy's
In article <············@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, ····@kana.stanford.edu wrote:
>Speaking of the person who coined the term A.I., JMC-
>he appears in Nov 2 Time Magazine digital supplement dressed as
>Hamlet doing a "Dear YoricK" pose with a brain instead of a school.

You mean standing on his four with the ass on the top
and an arrow pointing to it and saying "Brain"?

From: Archie Ward Julien
     WRT Rick's posting that the Nov 2 Time article is a progress report on
Lenat's CYC company, when I went to www.time.com, and entered "cyc" into
the first (PathFinder) search box, I got three articles returned, the first
an article on CYC, from November 13, 1995.  When I scrolled down the Time
page and entered "cyc" into the second (Search Time) search box, I get an
article from March 25, 1996.
     CYC seems to have disappeared from the landscape.  DejaNews rarely
reports "cyc lenat" search results from newsgroups postings any longer, so
when I came across this posting promising a progress report, I eagerly read
the, alas, 3-year-old and 2-and-a-half-year-old articles.  Even CYC's own
page at www.cyc.com, link what's new, shows the last entry to be 4/20/98,
almost 7 months ago.
     So, is there any current progress report, or is CYC relegated to the
history pages from now on?
     Archie

From: Sergio Navega
Archie Ward Julien wrote in message <·················@compuex.com>...
>     WRT Rick's posting that the Nov 2 Time article is a progress report on
>Lenat's CYC company, when I went to www.time.com, and entered "cyc" into
>the first (PathFinder) search box, I got three articles returned, the first
>an article on CYC, from November 13, 1995.  When I scrolled down the Time
>page and entered "cyc" into the second (Search Time) search box, I get an
>article from March 25, 1996.
>     CYC seems to have disappeared from the landscape.  DejaNews rarely
>reports "cyc lenat" search results from newsgroups postings any longer, so
>when I came across this posting promising a progress report, I eagerly read
>the, alas, 3-year-old and 2-and-a-half-year-old articles.  Even CYC's own
>page at www.cyc.com, link what's new, shows the last entry to be 4/20/98,
>almost 7 months ago.
>     So, is there any current progress report, or is CYC relegated to the
>history pages from now on?
>     Archie

I am equally curious about the destinies of the project. The worse
it can happen would be the burial of the company with no report
of the achieved goals nor a sincere list of the problems faced.
If this happens, it would be a great loss.

Sergio Navega.
From: Bloxy's
In article <··········@news3.ibm.net>, "Sergio Navega" <·······@ibm.net> wrote:

>Archie Ward Julien wrote in message <·················@compuex.com>...
>>     WRT Rick's posting that the Nov 2 Time article is a progress report on
>>Lenat's CYC company, when I went to www.time.com, and entered "cyc" into
>>the first (PathFinder) search box, I got three articles returned, the first
>>an article on CYC, from November 13, 1995.  When I scrolled down the Time
>>page and entered "cyc" into the second (Search Time) search box, I get an
>>article from March 25, 1996.
>>     CYC seems to have disappeared from the landscape.  DejaNews rarely
>>reports "cyc lenat" search results from newsgroups postings any longer, so
>>when I came across this posting promising a progress report, I eagerly read
>>the, alas, 3-year-old and 2-and-a-half-year-old articles.  Even CYC's own
>>page at www.cyc.com, link what's new, shows the last entry to be 4/20/98,
>>almost 7 months ago.
>>     So, is there any current progress report, or is CYC relegated to the
>>history pages from now on?
>>     Archie
>>

>I am equally curious about the destinies of the project. The worse
>it can happen would be the burial of the company with no report
>of the achieved goals nor a sincere list of the problems faced.

>If this happens, it would be a great loss.

No, it wouldn't. They broke their teeth on the same
problem as many before them, and they have nothing
of significance to contribute.

Yes, it would be useful to see the honest assesment
of what has been done, but in the environment we
live in, it is hardly possible to trust any of what
they could have said.

All they did, it looks like, is try to pleas the military
requirements of global size information assimilation for
the intelligence purposes.

The department of defense has been looking for such a
gadget since 1986 approximately.

We can only hope that no progress will be made in the
forceable future, because if there will be, then we
will all pay dearly. The way our systems operate at
the moment, is nothing but the most evil intentions.

Just look at what stealth bomber did.
Nobody seem to pay any attention to it.
And what it did, is to create the disbalance of power,
not seen in entire human history.

While that evil saddam lit up entire sky trying to
shut down the american plane during the events of
1991, the main missions were carried out with
stealth bomber, utterly undetectable.

And they are likely to use it in ANY situation they
want. They will go around, create the notion of
danger to a free sucking world and a national suckurity,
get the signatures of other white man nations,
and pretend that it was a will of the people of the world.

Then they will use the stealt technology, and other
technologies that are likely be under development,
or even ready for implementation, to do ANYTHING they
want.

Just prey the lord that noone will solve the problem
for at least 5 - 10 years, at which time, the situation
may change.

From: Bloxy's
In article <·················@compuex.com>, Archie Ward Julien <·······@compuex.com> wrote:

>     WRT Rick's posting that the Nov 2 Time article is a progress report on
>Lenat's CYC company, when I went to www.time.com, and entered "cyc" into
>the first (PathFinder) search box, I got three articles returned, the first
>an article on CYC, from November 13, 1995.  When I scrolled down the Time
>page and entered "cyc" into the second (Search Time) search box, I get an
>article from March 25, 1996.

>     CYC seems to have disappeared from the landscape.  DejaNews rarely
>reports "cyc lenat" search results from newsgroups postings any longer, so
>when I came across this posting promising a progress report, I eagerly read
>the, alas, 3-year-old and 2-and-a-half-year-old articles.  Even CYC's own
>page at www.cyc.com, link what's new, shows the last entry to be 4/20/98,
>almost 7 months ago.

>     So, is there any current progress report, or is CYC relegated to the
>history pages from now on?

Well, if you read the web page, you should
be able to figure it that all they have is a hack.
A big pile on things, concocted together,
not necessarily adressing the issues.

They may get some money for "research" from the
military, but from the standpoint of creating a
system with ANY degree of elegance, there is
just nothing there.

Their examples of being able to disambiguate some
sentences is not very impressive. Whether the mountains
fly or airplanes fly is not the correct approach.
Mountains may also fly, if your point of reference is
the airplane, from which you observe them.

But the problems of MEANING are not even adressed.
Basically, all they have is a big, big pile of shit,
resolving nothing of significance.