From: Chung jae youn
Subject: symbol question
Hello Lispers,
I'm studying lisp and more and more like it.

Anyway, can anybody let me know what the following responses from Lisp
Listener?

  (eq 'content-length 'content-length) => T
  (eq 'content-length (intern "content-length")) => NIL
  (eql 'content-length (intern "content-length")) => NIL
  (equal 'content-length (intern "content-length")) => NIL

Thanks in advance.

--
Chung jae youn
··········@pllab.kaist.ac.kr
From: David B. Lamkins
Subject: Re: symbol question
In article <···············@bronze.kaist.ac.kr> , Chung jae youn
<···@pllab.kaist.ac.kr>  wrote:

>Hello Lispers,
>I'm studying lisp and more and more like it.
>
>Anyway, can anybody let me know what the following responses from Lisp
>Listener?
>
>  (eq 'content-length 'content-length) => T
>  (eq 'content-length (intern "content-length")) => NIL
>  (eql 'content-length (intern "content-length")) => NIL
>  (equal 'content-length (intern "content-length")) => NIL

eq checks for identical objects.  The other equality comparisons do extra
work, but default to eq for symbols.

(intern "content-length") is not eq to (intern "CONTENT-LENGTH"); these
return two distinct symbols, named |content-length| and CONTENT-LENGTH.

Have a look at the HyperSpec at
<http://www.harlequin.com/education/books/HyperSpec/>, especially chapters
10 and 11.

---