From: Andre Koehorst
Subject: Video from ACL5.0?
We are doing a project in which we'll build clinical simulations (=
simulations of the doctor-patient). The user will 'play' doctor, the
computer will provide the patients' responses, results of tests etc.

In this program it will be necessary to show video-sequences of parts of
the consult. The program will probably support two delivery modes: WWW
with low quality video and LAN/CD-ROM with higher quality video. I think
from a production perspective it would be easiest to have a longer
sequence of video and play snippets from it.

I have a few questions regarding development of the LAN-version:
Has anybody developed an application with ACL using video under windows
(95/NT)?
If so, what type of video/compresion was used and how was it integrated
with ACL?
What were your experiences?
Is there any sample code available on how to do this?

Any feedback appreciated,

Andre

This message is cross-posted to comp.lang.lisp and comp.lang.lisp.franz
Excuses if this causes you any inconvenience.
From: ······@cit.org.by
Subject: Re: Video from ACL5.0?
In article <·················@educ.unimaas.nl>,
  Andre Koehorst <········@educ.unimaas.nl> wrote:
> We are doing a project in which we'll build clinical simulations (=
> simulations of the doctor-patient). The user will 'play' doctor, the
> computer will provide the patients' responses, results of tests etc.
>
> In this program it will be necessary to show video-sequences of parts of
> the consult. The program will probably support two delivery modes: WWW
> with low quality video and LAN/CD-ROM with higher quality video. I think
> from a production perspective it would be easiest to have a longer
> sequence of video and play snippets from it.
>
> I have a few questions regarding development of the LAN-version:
> Has anybody developed an application with ACL using video under windows
> (95/NT)?
> If so, what type of video/compresion was used and how was it integrated
> with ACL?
> What were your experiences?
> Is there any sample code available on how to do this?

I'm not aware of ACL5.0 capabilities, but ACL3.02Lite has a sample of
Multimedia Control Interface usage in \ex\Mci subdirectory. I used it to play
.avi movies (to convince my colleagues that Lisp can deal not with console I/O
only):

(use-package :mci)

(setq anim (make-instance 'mci-animation))
(mci-open anim :file "c:\\dir\\foo.avi")
(mci-play anim :wait-p t)
(mci-close anim)

 ---Eugene Zaikonnikov