From: Torsten Anders
Subject: Does anybody know Babylon, an expertsystem shell?
Hi,

I am looking for something like an expertsystem embedded in common lisp.
Now I found the expertsystem shell "Babylon". It is ralativly old and
you may find it on

	ftp.gmd.de/gmd/ai-research/Software/Babylon/

I ask you now:
Is or was anybody using this application? What are your experiences
using it...
Is there something similar I did not find yet?

From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·············@hfm.uni-weimar.de>, Torsten Anders
<··············@hfm.uni-weimar.de> wrote:

>         ftp.gmd.de/gmd/ai-research/Software/Babylon/
>
> I ask you now:
> Is or was anybody using this application? What are your experiences
> using it...

There is a book about Babylon (german and also translated to english).
Babylon later was a product offered by VW-Gedas (I don't think they still
offer it. VW-Gedas is now Gedas. See: http://www.gedas.de/).

This is from the last public version 2.3:

BABYLON Version 2.3

What is BABYLON

BABYLON is a modular, configurable, hybrid environment for developing expert
systems. It provides the following knowledge representation formalisms:
  frames,
  rules,
  logic (Prolog) and
  constraints.
BABYLON is implemented and embedded in Common Lisp.

The archive contains all the sources that are needed to compile
and run BABYLON on different hard and software platforms (Mac, Sun, ...).

Version 2.3 is a maintenance release of 2.2 with some reworking to make it
more portable. To this end, the whole babylon implementation is put into the
:babylon package. So put your knowledge bases into the :babylon package or use
the :babylon package. Also included is some documentation (in the doc
directory) in RTF (Rich Text Format) and some more complex examples (see
axtra sample kb and the texi and model-k directories).

More details about BABYLON can be found in:

Christaller, T., Di Primio, F., Voss, A. (Hrsg.).
Die KI-Werkbank Babylon.
Eine offene und portable Entwicklungsumgebung fuer Expertensysteme.
Addison-Wesley, 1989, ISBN 3-89319-155-0
(in German)

or

Christaller, T., Di Primio, F., Voss, A. (eds).
The AI-Workbench BABYLON.
An open and portable development environment for expert systems.
Academic Press, London, 1992, ISBN 0-12-174235-0;

and

Guesgen, H.-W.,
CONSAT: A system for constraint satisfaction.
Research Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Morgan Kaufman, San Mateo, 1989.

Lisp implementations supported

In principle, babylon should run on any Common Lisp implementation.
The current version 2.3 has actually been tested with

Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0.1 and 3.0            on Apple Macintosh and

Allegro Common Lisp 4.1 and 4.2,
CLisp (january 1994),
CMU (version 16e) and
AKCL 1.615                                     on SUN.

Support for Lispmachines has been stopped. I do not have one available
any more.

-------------------------------

Especially the last sentence makes me sad...

> Is there something similar I did not find yet?

KEE, ART, KnowledgeWorks (from Harlequin), Joshua (from Symbolics),
LOOM (from ISI), ...

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig
From: Torsten Anders
Rainer Joswig wrote:
> <··············@hfm.uni-weimar.de> wrote:
>
> >         ftp.gmd.de/gmd/ai-research/Software/Babylon/
> >
> > I ask you now:
> > Is or was anybody using this application? What are your experiences
> > using it...

README file snipped.

> Especially the last sentence makes me sad...
>
> > Is there something similar I did not find yet?
>
> KEE, ART, KnowledgeWorks (from Harlequin), Joshua (from Symbolics),
> LOOM (from ISI), ...
>
> --
> http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig

Thanks for answering, but I did not ask precisely. Of course I read the
README, and I got the book too.

I am only a student of music. But I plan to use something like an expert
system in connection with an enviroment for algorithmic composition,
written in common lisp, common music to be exact.
											http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Software/cm/cm.html

Because I am a student, I'm looking for a free programm. So far I found
screamer and Babylon - which are not similar of course. Because Babylon
is much more documented I am interested wether somebody is still using
it. Would you recomment it or should I think to buy somethink
commercial.
From: Rainer Joswig
<··············@hfm.uni-weimar.de> wrote:

> > KEE, ART, KnowledgeWorks (from Harlequin), Joshua (from Symbolics),
> > LOOM (from ISI), ...

LOOM is available for download from http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/LOOM-HOME.html.
KnowledgeWorks will be part of Harlequin's LispWorks for Windows, Enterprise
Edition. Joshua will be a part of Open Genera 2.0.

Can't say much about Babylon. It is long ago since I have used it.

> I am only a student of music. But I plan to use something like an expert
> system in connection with an enviroment for algorithmic composition,
> written in common lisp, common music to be exact.
>

> http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Software/cm/cm.html
>
> Because I am a student, I'm looking for a free programm.

So the rule is "when student then looking for free software" ? Why?
Often it is possible to get educational licenses for commercial software
or even for software that commercially would not be available.

The question is, what do you want to achieve and what mechanisms do you need?
Babylon is not an expert system - it is an expert system shell. You would be
developing the expert system. So what kind of musical knowledge would you
want to represent in which way? Do you need rules, logic, frames, grammar
systems,
neural nets, classification, agents, distribution ...?

For more stuff you might also look at the CMU AI repository,
the Digitool ftp site or even at commercial software like
"Symbolic Composer".

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig
From: Auguste
BABYLON is a development environment for expert systems. It
includes frames, constraints, a prolog-like logic formalism, and a
description language for diagnostic applications. It is implemented in
Common Lisp and has been ported to a wide range of hardware platforms.
Available by anonymous ftp from
   ftp.gmd.de:/gmd/ai-research/Software/Babylon/ [129.26.8.84]
Richard P.
-------------------

From: Meinolf Asshoff
In article <·······················@194.163.195.67>,
   ······@lavielle.com (Rainer Joswig) wrote:
>In article <·············@hfm.uni-weimar.de>, Torsten Anders
><··············@hfm.uni-weimar.de> wrote:
>
>>         ftp.gmd.de/gmd/ai-research/Software/Babylon/
>>
>> I ask you now:
>> Is or was anybody using this application? What are your experiences
>> using it...

I have been working with BABYLON 3.x from VW-GEDAS for some years and I would
summarize my experience as follows:

Its a well designed, powerfull and big shell, but it has a few very important
drawbacks:
Its development has been stoped BEFORE it became a complete, reliable and
seriously usable system and its too slow in "compiling" (what you have to do
very often when searching for your own programming errors).
It is a completely rewritten and enhanced system, based on the former version
2.x of the GMD.

In short: BABYLON 3.x is dead, no longer supported and develloped.
But I think the former version of the GMD is an alternative, for informatics.

But there is EMA, a shell compatible to BABYLON 3.x. I think its still under
development.....
http://wmwap1.math.uni-wuppertal.de:80/EMA-XPS/
EMA-XPS -A Hybrid Graphic Expert System Shell

---
Meinolf Asshoff                e-mail: ·······@pz-oekosys.uni-kiel.de
Ecosystem Research Centre           http://www.pz-oekosys.uni-kiel.de
University of Kiel             phone: +49/431/880-4029
Schauenburgerstr. 112
D-24118 Kiel
GERMANY