From: Todd McLaughlin
Subject: (explode 'list) ?
My goal is:

(MY LIST) -> (M Y #\space L I S T)

I'm obviously looking for an explode func.  I found coerce
but that's only for strings and I couldn't find a way to
convert a list with spaces in it to a string.  I could write
a function that took each symbol out of the list and converte
it but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.

Note: It doesn't matter how the space is represented but it
does need to be included in the result.

I know I'll feal stupid when I hear the answer but lay it
on anyway.  Thanks.

Todd

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: (explode 'list) ?
Todd McLaughlin <·····@waltz.rahul.net> writes:

> I'm obviously looking for an explode func.  I found coerce
> but that's only for strings and I couldn't find a way to
> convert a list with spaces in it to a string.

(defun explode (obj) (coerce (prin1-to-string obj) 'list))

There's also princ-to-string if you'd prefer that.
From: Marc Dzaebel
Todd McLaughlin wrote:
> My goal is:
> (MY LIST) -> (M Y #\space L I S T)

(defun explode(l)
 (if(atom l)
    (loop for c across(princ-to-string l)
          collect(intern(string c)))
    (loop for es on l append(explode(car es))
          if(cdr es)collect #\space)))

(explode '(my list 2 "drei"))
-> (M Y #\space L I S T #\space 2 #\space D R E I)

I don't how you like basic constants to be transformed.
Is this what you want?