From: Roberta Stone
Subject: Help getting back to Lisp
In the mid-eighties, this then computer illiterate was given a book on
Lisp, and everything fell into place - it was the first and only
computer language I was able to understand and use. I learned on a
Microvax. Used an Emacs editor. Job over, no more Lisp. Now have a PC
running (what else!) Windows95, and would like to get back to Lisp.
Still have my Common Lisp book. Can anyone advise where I can get
editor, compiler, debugger, etc. that will work with this OS?

Roberta Stone

From: Klaus Schilling
Subject: Re: Help getting back to Lisp
Roberta Stone <········@totalnetnh.net> writes:

> In the mid-eighties, this then computer illiterate was given a book on
> Lisp, and everything fell into place - it was the first and only
> computer language I was able to understand and use. I learned on a
> Microvax. Used an Emacs editor. Job over, no more Lisp. Now have a PC
> running (what else!) Windows95, and would like to get back to Lisp.
> Still have my Common Lisp book. Can anyone advise where I can get
> editor, compiler, debugger, etc. that will work with this OS?

Replace win95 with a decent operating system like Linux or NetBSD, and the
flood of easily available Lisps will drown you.

	Klaus Schilling
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@ivm.de>, Klaus Schilling
<···············@home.ivm.de> wrote:

> Replace win95 with a decent operating system like Linux or NetBSD,

How can Unix be a "decent operating system"?
Such naivity makes me ... Where is my Unix Hater barf bag?
Quick...

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig
From: Alexey Goldin
······@lavielle.com (Rainer Joswig) writes:

> How can Unix be a "decent operating system"?
> Such naivity makes me ... Where is my Unix Hater barf bag?
> Quick...

Compared to the rest of "systems" easily available, it sure is.
From: Roberta Stone
My thanks to everyone who responded! I thought my programming days
were over - I just can't make heads nor tails out of C or any of the
other languages. Something to do with the way my brain's wired, I
guess! :-)

Once I get set up and get the rust scraped off, I hope I'll become a
meaningful contributor to the group. I farm, and hate spending all day
driving the tractor back and forth cutting and baling hay. I've been
after my other half about automating a tractor, so that I can let it
work while do other things. Lots of other projects I'd like to see
automated around here, too. Now maybe I can start thinking about the
code.

Roberta Stone
From: Roberta Stone
I happen to prefer OS2 myself, but unfortunately, Wuh Wuh Windows is the way
most of the world thinks, and hubby has to use it for development for his
customers.

Roberta Stone

From: Klaus Schilling
Roberta Stone <········@totalnetnh.net> writes:

> I happen to prefer OS2 myself, but unfortunately, Wuh Wuh Windows is the way
> most of the world thinks, and hubby has to use it for development for his
> customers.

How about a dual boot?

	Klaus Schilling
From: Roberta Stone
Oh, Klaus, I tried that! Wanted a dual boot OS2/Windows 95 system.
Ended up with computerus terminus. Nothing would load. Finally got the
darn thing to take Windows again, then spent some 17 hours reloading
all the software and reconstructing the system. Last I knew, the story
of that awful night was still being circulated through some private
humor mailing lists under the title "Recipe for Insanity."

Roberta
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·················@totalnetnh.net>, ········@totalnetnh.net wrote:

> In the mid-eighties, this then computer illiterate was given a book on
> Lisp, and everything fell into place - it was the first and only
> computer language I was able to understand and use. I learned on a
> Microvax. Used an Emacs editor. Job over, no more Lisp. Now have a PC
> running (what else!) Windows95, and would like to get back to Lisp.
> Still have my Common Lisp book. Can anyone advise where I can get
> editor, compiler, debugger, etc. that will work with this OS?
>
> Roberta Stone

Franz and Harlequin are both providing Lisp implementations
for PCs running Windows. Harlequin has a free personal edition
of their LispWorks environment.

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Sun, 04 Oct 1998 02:05:52 -0400, Roberta Stone <········@totalnetnh.net>
wrote:

> Microvax. Used an Emacs editor. Job over, no more Lisp. Now have a PC
> running (what else!) Windows95, and would like to get back to Lisp.
> Still have my Common Lisp book. Can anyone advise where I can get
> editor, compiler, debugger, etc. that will work with this OS?

You may try the Common Lisp system CLISP (it's small and reasonably
standard; there is also a binary distribution for Win95):

	http://clisp.cons.org/

and the version of GNU Emacs for Win95:

	http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html

Han fun