From: Axel Schairer
Subject: Parsers for Lisp - was: I don't understand Lisp
Erik Naggum <······@naggum.no> writes:
[snip opinion on `do we need regular expressions in CL?']
>   since their [i.e. regular expressions' in CL] presence seem to
>   supplant better solutions, like parsers that convert strings into
>   data structures
[snip]

Agreed, I almost always parse the input (strings) and work on a more
structured representation.  However I have not discovered `my' parser
generator yet.

Which parser generators do people use?

I have tried the following so far:

1) lex and bison (or yacc): Outputting strings to be read in by lisp.
   This cannot be the ultimate solution for obvious reasons however.

2) zebu: As far as parser generation and parsing is concerned I liked
   zebu (except perhaps for missing operator precedence).  However, it
   does not seem to be supported any more and the glue code (i.e. its
   initialization code and package layout) are a bit unorthodox, it
   seems to me (e.g. getting messages about `metagrammar not loaded',
   where you don't even dream of using the metagrammar at runtime and
   so on).

Any suggestions what I should have a look at? -- Thanks.

Axel

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Parsers for Lisp - was: I don't understand Lisp
In article <··················@ws-423.ags.uni-sb.de>, Axel Schairer
<········@dfki.de> wrote:

> 2) zebu: As far as parser generation and parsing is concerned I liked
>    zebu (except perhaps for missing operator precedence).  However, it
>    does not seem to be supported any more and the glue code (i.e. its
>    initialization code and package layout) are a bit unorthodox, it
>    seems to me (e.g. getting messages about `metagrammar not loaded',
>    where you don't even dream of using the metagrammar at runtime and
>    so on).

Is there a later version than
<ftp://ftp.digitool.com/pub/mcl/contrib/zebu-3.5.2.tgz>  ?

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig
From: Alexander Vorobiev
······@lavielle.com (Rainer Joswig) writes:

> Is there a later version than
> <ftp://ftp.digitool.com/pub/mcl/contrib/zebu-3.5.2.tgz>  ?

ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/user/ai/new/zebu-3.5.3.tgz

Alexander
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <············@sparrow.diamant.ru>, Alexander Vorobiev
<·······@sparrow.diamant.ru> wrote:

> ······@lavielle.com (Rainer Joswig) writes:
>
> > Is there a later version than
> > <ftp://ftp.digitool.com/pub/mcl/contrib/zebu-3.5.2.tgz>  ?
>
> ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/user/ai/new/zebu-3.5.3.tgz

Oops! Thanks.

> Alexander

Looks like nobody is maintaining that server anymore?

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig
From: Axel Schairer
Subject: Re: Parsers for Lisp
We were talking about Zebu (a parser generator for CL):

······@lavielle.com (Rainer Joswig) writes:
> Is there a later version than
> <ftp://ftp.digitool.com/pub/mcl/contrib/zebu-3.5.2.tgz>  ?

I don't know.  When I needed a parser some time (months?) ago, I
browsed the CMU Artificial Intelligence Repository and found version
3.4.8.  That's the one I was talking about.  So maybe zebu is
supported and I just got the wrong person's email address when
suggesting our patches.

Axel

PS:  This is the info taken from the CMU Artificial Intelligence Repository

---------
Version:      3.4.8 (8-MAR-96); 3.3.6 (30-AUG-94); 3.3.2 (28-JUL-94)

Ports:        Tested in Lucid CL and Allegro CL under HP-UX, and MCL
              2.0b on the Macintosh

Copying:      Copyright (c) 1989 by William M. Wells III
              Copyright (c) 1990-93 by Hewlett-Packard Company.
              Use, copying, modification and distribution permitted
              for non-commercial purposes. (See the file named
              COPYRIGHT in the package for details.)

Updated:      Thu Mar  7 17:25:22 1996

CD-ROM:       Prime Time Freeware for AI, Issue 1-1

Bug Reports:  ·······@hplabs.hpl.hp.com

Author(s):    Joachim H. Laubsch
---------