From: David J. Steele
Subject: Testing for Input from the Keyboard
I am working on a project for man-machine conversational dialogue and have
an interesting problem on which I would appreciate advice. As presently
constituted, the human input is via the keyboard; the machine responds with
messages to the console. The problem is this: that if the human does not
respond within some set time, I would like the machine to jog him with
another prompt to the console. This would appear to involve a loop which
tests for keyboard input using listen or read-char-no-hang. However this
does not work with my version 3.0.1 of ACL since these functions do not
appear to work on the standard input stream.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this might be accomplished? If
so, would appreciate hearing from you to ········@singnet.com.sg. Many
thanks!
Regards,
Dave Steele