From: David Steuber "The Interloper
Subject: Lisp on the back burner, set to simmer
My Lisping adventure has taken me on some pretty strange detours.

When I started looking for a Lisp system, a free one because I am a
cheap person, I wanted something for NT.  Corman Lisp wasn't out yet.
My copy is still in its archive.  Anyway, I ended up settling on
CMUCL.  For that I needed Linux.

I bought myself a new HD to install and run Linux on.  But, alas, my
ISDN card would not work with Linux.  Booting back and forth is such a
chore, and I have developed a preference for Linux.  So I set forth to
find a solution to my network dilemma.

I got myself an ISDN router.  This plugs into a NIC.  Unfortunately,
the first NIC I bought was fried.  I didn't find this out until after
removing the ISDN card to free up an IRQ.  I was quite determined at
this point.  I was not going to retreat.

I was also off the net.  No mail.  No news.  Work didn't give me time
to really follow this group with DejaNews.

Meanwhile, my contempt for windows grew and my desire for a real
network at home grew with it.  I got a hub.  I got two more NICs.  I
opened my box and performed many card transplants.  Murphy was
fighting me all the way.

For some strange reason, I felt the need to drop all my available cash
on a portable computer as well.  I thought how cool it would be to
have a completely Gates free machine to hack on.  With a router, I
could hook up to the Internet from anywhere in the house.  Or even
outside.

So now I have a portable computer that doesn't have the X server
running yet.  At least my router now seems to be working, although I
only have one NIC in the box at present.

Those of you who see the headers will see that I am still using NT for
this post.  I haven't yet set up XEmacs for doing my mail and news.
Judging from my rate of progress, the sun will be a dwarf star before
I'm all set up.

It will be nice to be able to do my news and mail in the same
environment that I do Lisp hacking.

Anyway, since my network is briefly working, I thought I would post
some irrelevant drivel to this group to let you all know I am still
alive, nearly ready to ask dumb questions and eat my feet.

So does anyone know what the heck NT is doing that it sends out IP
packets to non-local addresses every minute or so?  Is Microsoft
spying on me?

--
David Steuber (ver 1.31.2a)
http://www.david-steuber.com

"Ignore reality there's nothing you can do about it..."
-- Natalie Imbruglia "Don't you think?"

From: David Steuber "The Interloper
Subject: Re: Lisp on the back burner, set to simmer
On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 05:32:07 GMT, ········@david-steuber.com (David
Steuber "The Interloper") claimed or asked:

% My Lisping adventure has taken me on some pretty strange detours.

Hey!  I'm talking to myself!

My notebook computer now has the X server up and running.  PCMCIA and
sound are working.  All I need now is for that ethernet card I ordered
to arrive.  I don't see copying my CMUCL over to the notebook on a
zillion 1.44MB floppys.

Has anyone noticed that notebooks are becoming hip?  It makes me feel
like one of the crowd having one.  Actually, I think I am more of a
black sheep because the machine is a 100% Microsoft free Linux box.

Right now, I am sitting next to a really noisy, full size tower, PC.
The fan is roaring like the propeller on a P-51D.  The notebook is
nice and quite.  It is also more powerful.  Technology is scary
sometimes.

What does this have to do with Lisp?  Simple.  I will be doing my Lisp
hacking on the notebook.  At work, I am a Linux evangelist.  I have
something to show people.  When I have some cool Lisp code, I will be
able to evangelize that too.

Soon Lisp will be back on the front burner, set to caramelize.

Hmmm.  I just thought of something.  Why don't I archive my CMUCL,
burn it to CD, and copy it onto the notebook that way?  I gotta go.  I
have to act on this idea before it evaporates.

From: Ian Wild
David Steuber The Interloper wrote:

> Hmmm.  I just thought of something.  Why don't I archive my CMUCL,
> burn it to CD, and copy it onto the notebook that way?

Or plug in a serial cable and set up a PPP link between
the notebook and your other machine.

That's how I installed ACL on our Libretto, and
it works fine.
From: David Steuber "The Interloper
On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:11:32 +0100, Ian Wild <···@cfmu.eurocontrol.be>
claimed or asked:

% >
%
% Or plug in a serial cable and set up a PPP link between
% the notebook and your other machine.
%
% That's how I installed ACL on our Libretto, and
% it works fine.

Dooh!

Well, I guess I have a back up of CMUCL now.  The CD I used had some
spare space.  No big loss.

--
David Steuber (ver 1.31.3a)
http://www.david-steuber.com
To reply by e-mail, replace trashcan with david.

May the source be with you...