From: Bill
Subject: Best free linux system to learn CLOS
The post says it all. I am interested in learning CLOS by writing a non
-trivial application. Can anyone make a suggestion on dev environment
and GPL/freeware system for linux.

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Best free linux system to learn CLOS
In article <·················@voicenet.comREMOVE>, Bill
<··············@voicenet.comREMOVE> wrote:

> The post says it all. I am interested in learning CLOS by writing a non
> -trivial application. Can anyone make a suggestion on dev environment
> and GPL/freeware system for linux.

CMU CL.
 - http://www.cons.org/cmucl/ .
 - native code, threads, ...

CLISP
 - http://clisp.cons.org/
 - byte code compiler, smaller, ...

ACL
 - http://www.franz.com/
 - commercial grade system, free for non commercial use, ...

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig
From: Daniel Barlow
In article <·······················@pbg3.lavielle.com>,
Rainer Joswig <······@lavielle.com> wrote:
>In article <·················@voicenet.comREMOVE>, Bill
><··············@voicenet.comREMOVE> wrote:
>
>> The post says it all. I am interested in learning CLOS by writing a non
>> -trivial application. Can anyone make a suggestion on dev environment
>> and GPL/freeware system for linux.
>
>CMU CL.
> - http://www.cons.org/cmucl/ .
> - native code, threads, ...

Tip of the week for cmucl on Linux: the web site refers to release 18a
being "imminent": in fact it's a little behind the times as 18_b_ is
available now.  There aren't Linux binaries for vanilla 18b anywhere
that I've found, but there are Debian packages for what's known as
"18a+ release x86-linux 2.4.7", which is pretty close aiui.  Try
ftp.debian.org:/pub/linux/distributions/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/devel

I run redhat rather than debian, but "alien" will convert that nicely
to an RPM.  Note that you'll need to get the binary package even if
you want to build from source, because the source is in Lisp so you
need a compiler to compile it ...

-dan