From: It's me........
Subject: Where to find a PC-LISP ??
Hello there,

I have bought a so called Alfred Handy Book about LISP.
I have been playing with LISP in AUTOCAD.

I'm very interested in LISP and would like to experiment a bit on my
PC (running several OS-es like W95/OS2/NT and LINUX plus good old CPM
ahem...)

I have scanned the Net for shareware LISP packages but to no avail.

Would be very pleased it someone could point my to a URL from where I
could download a small LISP implementation for use on a PC.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds

Robbert J. van Herksen

From: WonderWhim
Subject: Re: Where to find a PC-LISP ??

>Would be very pleased it someone could point my to a URL from where I
>could download a small LISP implementation for use on a PC.

Try http://clisp.cons.org/  for CLISP which will run under DOS, OS/2, or
Windows.  Good luck finding Lisp for CP/M, though :)

And it's better than shareware: it's free (GPL).

--
WW (··········@aol.com)
From: Pierre Mai
··········@aol.com (WonderWhim) writes:

> >Would be very pleased it someone could point my to a URL from where I
> >could download a small LISP implementation for use on a PC.
> >

> Try http://clisp.cons.org/  for CLISP which will run under DOS, OS/2, or
> Windows.  Good luck finding Lisp for CP/M, though :)
>
> And it's better than shareware: it's free (GPL).

On Windows there's also Harlequin's LispWorks 4.1 Personal Edition,
which is free, and has some restrictions (core size, run-time <= 5h
IIRC), but is a good implementation, and has a nice IDE, for the
Windows world.

On Linux there are CMU CL (PD), which is a bit largish, but has
very nice performance, and Franz's Allegro Common Lisp 5.0 Trial
Edition, which is free and has no restrictions, except that it's
for non-commercial use only.  On Linux I'd suggest XEmacs with
ILISP as an IDE.

For further information take a look at the ALU site, which has links
and descriptions of all the mentioned implementations:

http://www.elwood.com/alu/index.htm

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>               http://home.pages.de/~trillian/
From: Martin Cracauer
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org> writes:

>On Linux there are CMU CL (PD),

Don't forget FreeBSD when you're talking x86 Unix clones.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer. For email address see a Web searcher.
From: Andrew Shalit
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org> writes:

> For further information take a look at the ALU site, which has links
> and descriptions of all the mentioned implementations:
>
> http://www.elwood.com/alu/index.htm

Take what you see on this site with multiple grains of salt.
I don't think it's being actively maintained.

Best would be to just use it as a way to get links to vendors,
and then get up-to-date info from the vendors.
From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Lisp implementation comparison: Re: Where to find a PC-LISP ??
In article <···············@shell2.shore.net>, Andrew Shalit
<····@shore.net> wrote:

> Pierre Mai <····@acm.org> writes:
>
> > For further information take a look at the ALU site, which has links
> > and descriptions of all the mentioned implementations:
> >
> > http://www.elwood.com/alu/index.htm
>
> Take what you see on this site with multiple grains of salt.
> I don't think it's being actively maintained.
>
> Best would be to just use it as a way to get links to vendors,
> and then get up-to-date info from the vendors.

It's time to bring more transparency to the Lisp market.
What we need is an uptodate comparison of the
Lisp implementations.

Project:
--------

Has anybody time to do/write a comparison of Lisp
implementations?
I have prepared a questionnaire. We would need to write
CL-HTTP code to render it and to make it editable/browsable.
I can offer cycles on a Lisp machine to bring it to
the web or we could ask the ALU people to put it on their pages.
Contact me if you have some spare time to help getting this going.

Martin Cracauer already provided info for CMU CL.

(loop with stream = (ed)
      for area in (slot-value lisp-comparison 'areas)
      do (format stream "~%~%~a~%~a" (slot-value area 'text)
                 (make-string (length (slot-value area 'text))
                              :initial-element #\=))
      do (loop for question in (slot-value area 'questions)
               do (format stream "~%~a: "
                          (or (and (slot-boundp question 'help)
                                   (slot-value question 'help))
                              (slot-value question 'text)))
               (write-type-prompt (slot-value question 'type)
                                  stream))
      finally (force-output stream))

General Information
===================
Implementation name: -describe-
Vendor/Author: -describe-
Vendor Mail address: -Mail URL-
Vendor address: -describe-
Vendor Phone number: -describe-
Vendor Web Site: -URL-
How is the software distributed. What are the packaging options?: -describe-
Price: -describe-
Price for commercial use: -describe-
Price for educational use: -describe-
Price for home use: -describe-
Price and options for Maintenance: -describe-
Price for application delivery: -describe-
On which platforms is it available? (OS/Hardware): -describe-
Current version: -describe-
Released, when: -describe-
Lisp dialect: -Common Lisp, Scheme, Dylan, EuLisp, AutoLisp, ISLisp,
Standard Lisp-
Lisp standard: -ANSI, IEEE, ISO-
Actively developed?: -Yes/No-
Source code available?: -Yes/No-
Implementation limitations?: -describe-
Developed by: -describe-
Licensed under: -describe-
Demo Version: -describe-
Comment: -describe-

Technical Information
=====================
Implementation Type: -Full Lisp System, C Library, Lisp to C compiler-
Embedded in another host language?: -describe-
Are foreign language versions available?: -describe-
Macro Sytems: -describe-
Does the implementation include a compiler?: -describe-
Compiles to: -C, Byte Codes, Native Code-
Does the implementation include an interpreter?: -Yes/No-
Are logical pathnames implemented?: -Yes/No-
Which Loop contructs are supported?: -describe-
Are packages for symbol namespaces supported?: -Yes/No-
Is a module system included?: -describe-
Which Garbage Collection options are available: -describe-
Does the compiler support code inlining?: -describe-
Does the compiler support tail recursion elimination?: -Yes/No-
Which Object-System is supported?: -describe-
Are persistent objects supported?: -describe-
Is a Meta Object Protocol supported?: -describe-
How efficient is the OO extension? Which optimizations are available?:
-describe-
Are dynamic objects available? Can objects change their class or their
implementation?: -describe-
Interfaces to other Object Systems: -C++, Objective C, Java, SmallTalk,
COM, SOM, CORBA-
How are streams implemented? Are they extensible? Gray streams?: -describe-
Are lightweight threads available? What interface is being supported?:
-describe-
Is TCP/IP available? TCP? UDP? ICMP? DNS?: -describe-
Is a foreign function interface available. What interface is being
supported?: -describe-
Is the Lisp system callable from other languages?: -describe-
Is automatic parsing of C or C++ headers supported?: -describe-
Is an OS interface available?: -describe-
Stepper: -describe-
Tracer: -describe-
Debugging tools: -describe-
Source debugging: -describe-
What kind of online help is available?: -describe-
Who calls: -describe-
Profiler: -describe-
Class browser: -describe-
Inspector: -describe-
Shared libraries: -describe-
Does the compiler support type inferencing? Can the compiler check types?:
-describe-
Which GUI libraries are supported?: -describe-
Does the implementation include an own editor?: -describe-
Source Code Maintenance: -Files, DB-
Does the development system keep track of source versions?: -describe-
Is a structure editor available?: -describe-
Is a substrate for drawing and browsing graphs available?: -describe-
Which graphical tools for are part of the development environment?: -describe-
Is an interactive interface builder available? How does it work?: -describe-
What mechanisms for creating applications is available?: -describe-
Minimal application size: -describe-
Development application size: -describe-
Disk Development application size: -describe-
Usable for CGIs: -describe-
Is a software system management available?: -describe-
Online Documentation: -describe-
Printed Documentation: -describe-
Application framework: -describe-
Are libraries for 3d graphics supported?: -OpenGL, QD3d, DirectX-
Are external software components supported?: -describe-
Can external Components be created?: -describe-
Interapplication Communication: -AppleEvents, DDE, ToolTalk-
Database interface: -describe-
OODB interface: -describe-
International Character Set support: -describe-
Other: -describe-

Common Lisp specific
====================
Common Lisp Object System: -PCL, Native, Extensions, MOP-
Is the CL Condition system supported? Based on CLOS?: -describe-
CL-HTTP support: -describe-
Does the vendor support CL-HTTP: -describe-
Is the Common Lisp Interface Manager supported?: -describe-

Resources
=========
Repository for patches: -URL-
Repository for user contributed code: -URL-
User Mailing list: -URL-
Support Mailing list: -URL-
Newsgroup: -News URL-
From where is the implementation available?: -URL-
WWW Home page: -URL-

Ratings
=======
Quality of Implementation: -1...10-
Speed: -1...10-
OO Speed: -1...10-
User interface: -1...10-
Features: -1...10-
Overall Rating: -1...10-

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig
From: sySOFT CS
It's me........ wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I have bought a so called Alfred Handy Book about LISP.
> I have been playing with LISP in AUTOCAD.
>
> I'm very interested in LISP and would like to experiment a bit on my
> PC (running several OS-es like W95/OS2/NT and LINUX plus good old CPM
> ahem...)
>
> I have scanned the Net for shareware LISP packages but to no avail.
>
> Would be very pleased it someone could point my to a URL from where I
> could download a small LISP implementation for use on a PC.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rgds
>
> Robbert J. van Herksen

Is it AutoLISP you want or LISP ?

I program AutoLISP and use VitalLISP&VisualLISP which is an AutoLISP IDE
(editor\debugger\compiler)
It creates ARX\EXP\EXE\ files for AutoCAD.

If you need AutoLISP utilites  go to:

www.cadsyt.com

If you need help concerning AutoLISP - email me

Nir
sySOFT CAD Solutions
From: Tone Hasemer

Tone: Try http://corman.net/lisp, Robbert.  Good Luck!