From: Matt Kressel
Subject: Re: CLIM and frames
Mike McDonald wrote:

>   You use the :layouts argument to define-application-frame and use (setf
> frame-current-layout) to change between them. This is described in Chapter 28
> of the spec (http://www.mikemac.com/mikemac/clim/page284.html). In particular,
> page290.html and page292.html are of interest.
>
>   Mike McDonald
>   ·······@mikemac.com

The layouts options are for windows "within" other windows.  I need to
"hide" the main window and "show" the other windows.  These other windows
are exactly the same, except with different menus.  How do I hide/show
these main windows without creating or destroying them?

Thanks for any help,
Matt Kressel

--
Matthew O. Kressel | INTERNET: ············@atdc.northgrum.com
+---------  Northrop Grumman Corporation, Bethpage, NY ---------+

From: Mike McDonald
In article <·················@atdc.northgrum.com>,
	Matt Kressel <············@atdc.northgrum.com> writes:
> Mike McDonald wrote:
>

>>   You use the :layouts argument to define-application-frame and use (setf
>> frame-current-layout) to change between them. This is described in Chapter 28
>> of the spec (http://www.mikemac.com/mikemac/clim/page284.html). In particular,
>> page290.html and page292.html are of interest.
>>
>>   Mike McDonald
>>   ·······@mikemac.com
>
> The layouts options are for windows "within" other windows.  I need to
> "hide" the main window and "show" the other windows.  These other windows
> are exactly the same, except with different menus.  How do I hide/show
> these main windows without creating or destroying them?
>

> Thanks for any help,
> Matt Kressel

  OK, like pop up and pop down. This is a frame-manager function. The GF's of
interest are enable-frame and disable-frame. Quoting the spec
(http://www.mikemac.com/mikemac/clim/page300.html):

=> enable-frame frame [Generic Function]
=> disable-frame frame [Generic Function]
=> shrink-frame frame [Generic Function]
These functions force a frame into the enabled, disabled, or shrunken states. A frame in the
enabled state may be visible if it is not occluded or placed out of the user's focus of attention.
A disabled frame is never visible. A shrunk frame is accessible to the user for re-enabling, but
may be represented in some abbreviated form, such as an icon or a menu item.

These functions call note-frame-state-changed to notify the frame manager that the state of
the frame changed.

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com
From: Matt Kressel
Mike McDonald wrote:

>   OK, like pop up and pop down. This is a frame-manager function. The GF's of
> interest are enable-frame and disable-frame. Quoting the spec
> (http://www.mikemac.com/mikemac/clim/page300.html):
>
> => enable-frame frame [Generic Function]
> => disable-frame frame [Generic Function]
> => shrink-frame frame [Generic Function]
> These functions force a frame into the enabled, disabled, or shrunken states. A frame in the
> enabled state may be visible if it is not occluded or placed out of the user's focus of attention.
> A disabled frame is never visible. A shrunk frame is accessible to the user for re-enabling, but
> may be represented in some abbreviated form, such as an icon or a menu item.
>
> These functions call note-frame-state-changed to notify the frame manager that the state of
> the frame changed.

Mike,

	I appreciate the help, but am still having problems.  Specifically,
I am using ACL 5.0 Pro with CLIM 2.2. The frames do not want to dissapear
when I use (shrink-frame *frame*).  Also, the original frame which command
opens the new frame becomes stuck in the open state.  Windows NT does not
let me close this window unless I exit ACL.  I have though that this may
have been due to the frame being disabled, so I ran enable-frame to no avail.

I have found so far working with CLIM that the language seems (at least
in the particular implementation) to have many flaws.  Namely, scrollbars
do not perform as expected and windowing functions cause the application
to crash/hang.  Have you had such experience with CLIM?  The difficulty
here is that the original application is a text based LISP app that works
great.  However, a port of a GUI that was originally built with ACTION
under MacCL was needed.  Therefore I needed a GUI builder that could
easily interface with the LISP objects.  It seems however, that I am getting
stuck with basic GUI options like scrolling and hiding/showing windows.  I
was wondering if you have any suggestions in this regard?

Thanks very much for your time,
Matt Kressel

From: Matt Kressel

From: Matt Kressel