From: David Brabant
Subject: Apologies
I would like to sincerely apologize to everybody here.
Since a few days, one of my little toy-programs is
perturbing this news group by sending a lot of stupid
and completely irrelevant posts (and by uttering insults
to everyone who dares to reply).

Actually, this is my first attempt to write an AI web-bot,
and it seems that I still have a lot to learn before reaching
my ambitious goal. Obviously, this first attempt is a
complete failure and I don't expect that it will ever get a
higher IQ than Eliza.

So, please, just get rid of all Bloxy's posts while I'm doing
a complete rewrite. I hope that version two will be a lot better.

Meanwhile, once again, accept my sincere apologies.

--David (hilsen fra Oslo, Norge)--
"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions
which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most
people are even incapable of forming such opinions." (Albert Einstein)
http://www.lemonde.fr/elections/regionales/cestca/

From: rusty craine
Subject: Re: Apologies
David Brabant wrote in message <············@news.mch.sbs.de>...
>I would like to sincerely apologize to everybody here.
>Since a few days, one of my little toy-programs is
>perturbing this news group by sending a lot of stupid
>and completely irrelevant posts (and by uttering insults
>to everyone who dares to reply).

I don't know but seems like a pretty good job.  My wife and I have been
watching Mr "B".  She (not a computer type but a phd in english type) picked
up a pattern at about the 3ard or four reply to a single respondent.  She
was running his responses thru a snobol4 program to track Bloxy's vocabualry
and writting patterns.  We had decided to write posts with several different
unrelated topics in a posting to see which one Mr B picked up on.   If you
have any interesting algorithms, that are new wy don't you share them with
us.

Rusty
From: lrphill
From: David Steuber "The Interloper
On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 18:24:21 +0100, "David Brabant"
<······@nowhere.org> claimed or asked:

%
% So, please, just get rid of all Bloxy's posts while I'm doing
% a complete rewrite. I hope that version two will be a lot better.

While your working on that, there is a bug report I would like to
file.  Bloxy's seems to constantly cross post, but replies sent to it
that are not fully cross posted don't seem to generate a response.

It might also help to get the transcripts of speeches given by William
Clinton, President of the USA.  He is very good at saying absolutely
nothing in a large number of words.  Also, you could possibly teach
your program to lie more effectively and make it seem like the fault
of the republicans.

Still, the failure of the Bloxy's program isn't so bad.  Although it
is reminiscent of early Eliza versions, a slightly larger vocabulary
should get it closer to passing the Turing test.

Will it keep posting?  Some of these web bots take on a life of their
own, so to speak.

--
David Steuber (ver 1.31.2a)
http://www.david-steuber.com

"Ignore reality there's nothing you can do about it..."
-- Natalie Imbruglia "Don't you think?"
From: Dobes Vandermeer
David Brabant wrote:

> I would like to sincerely apologize to everybody here.
> Since a few days, one of my little toy-programs is
> perturbing this news group by sending a lot of stupid
> and completely irrelevant posts (and by uttering insults
> to everyone who dares to reply).
>
> Actually, this is my first attempt to write an AI web-bot,
> and it seems that I still have a lot to learn before reaching
> my ambitious goal. Obviously, this first attempt is a
> complete failure and I don't expect that it will ever get a
> higher IQ than Eliza.
>
> So, please, just get rid of all Bloxy's posts while I'm doing
> a complete rewrite. I hope that version two will be a lot better.

But they are so funny!!!

I wouldnt mind a copy of that to play with...

CU
Dobes