From: David B. Lamkins
Subject: Re: common lisp for macintosh
In article <······················@theta.medizin.uni-ulm.de>,
·····@sip.medizin.uni-ulm.de (kp gores) wrote:

>i am searching for common lisp for the apple (power) macintosh.
>is there a (current) version?
>i have found so far PowerLisp (shareware, from 1996) and know that there
>was Allegro from Apple.

Apple's "Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp" eventually became "Macintosh
Common Lisp."  It is now actively developed and supported by Digitool
<http://www.digitool.com> in both PPC and 68K versions.

--
David B. Lamkins <http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins/>

From: Funcall of Nil
David B. Lamkins wrote:

> In article <······················@theta.medizin.uni-ulm.de>,
> ·····@sip.medizin.uni-ulm.de (kp gores) wrote:
>
> >i am searching for common lisp for the apple (power) macintosh.
> >is there a (current) version?
> >i have found so far PowerLisp (shareware, from 1996) and know that there
> >was Allegro from Apple.
>
> Apple's "Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp" eventually became "Macintosh
> Common Lisp."  It is now actively developed and supported by Digitool
> <http://www.digitool.com> in both PPC and 68K versions.
>
> --
> David B. Lamkins <http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins/>

If you are just going to putz around with Lisp, Roger Corman's PowerLisp
will usually suffice.  It is not a full implementation of Common Lisp
(no support for more esoteric functions), but much cheaper than the
$600+ MCL, and comes with the Steele CL spec.

Suggestion:  If you have a Power Mac (with PCI), get one of those Linux
shells that will work for you machine and run emacs Lisp.  Much less
expensive in the long run.

fon
From: David B. Lamkins
In article <·············@esomydia.com>, ···@esomydia.com wrote:

Normally, I don't retain the full original post when replying, but in this
case it's necessary.

>David B. Lamkins wrote:
>>
>> In article <······················@theta.medizin.uni-ulm.de>,
>> ·····@sip.medizin.uni-ulm.de (kp gores) wrote:
>>
>> >i am searching for common lisp for the apple (power) macintosh.
>> >is there a (current) version?
>> >i have found so far PowerLisp (shareware, from 1996) and know that there
>> >was Allegro from Apple.
>>
>> Apple's "Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp" eventually became "Macintosh
>> Common Lisp."  It is now actively developed and supported by Digitool
>> <http://www.digitool.com> in both PPC and 68K versions.
>>
>> --
>> David B. Lamkins <http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins/>
>
>If you are just going to putz around with Lisp, Roger Corman's PowerLisp
>will usually suffice.  It is not a full implementation of Common Lisp
>(no support for more esoteric functions), but much cheaper than the
>$600+ MCL, and comes with the Steele CL spec.

The original poster has already located PowerLisp, and is seeking
alternatives.  Personally, I'd like to see PowerLisp succeed as an
entry-level alternative to MCL, but have found it to be too fragile for
even casual experimentation.

>Suggestion:  If you have a Power Mac (with PCI), get one of those Linux
>shells that will work for you machine and run emacs Lisp.  Much less
>expensive in the long run.

The original poster is looking for a _Common Lisp_ implementation.  Emacs
Lisp is not Common Lisp, not even with the compatibility package.  OTOH,
if Emacs Lisp is a viable option, it will be much less expensive (in terms
of disk space) to load Parmet's Emacs for the Mac OS (see
<ftp://ftp.cs.cornell.edu/pub/parmet>).

--
David B. Lamkins <http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins/>
From: Espen Vestre
Funcall of Nil <···@esomydia.com> writes:

> If you are just going to putz around with Lisp, Roger Corman's PowerLisp
> will usually suffice.  It is not a full implementation of Common Lisp
> (no support for more esoteric functions), but much cheaper than the
> $600+ MCL, and comes with the Steele CL spec.

the original poster was from the educational domain.  Digitool offers
educational prices and very good student prices, starting at $85 for
a "newsstand issue" (w/o upgrades) for students .  Anybody looking
for lisp on the mac should definitely try out the demo version of
MCL at http://www.digitool.com

--

  Espen Vestre
  MACL/MCL user since 1988
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@gromit.nextel.no>, Espen Vestre <··@nextel.no> wrote:

>   Espen Vestre
>   MACL/MCL user since 1988

Haven't you used CCL (Coral Common Lisp)? ;-)

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/
From: Espen Vestre
······@lavielle.com (Rainer Joswig) writes:

> Haven't you used CCL (Coral Common Lisp)? ;-)

I'm not quite sure, actually, but I _think_ it had just been
renamed to "Allegro Common Lisp" (not yet "Macintosh Allegro Common
Lisp") as I started using it during the summer of 1988!

Btw., at that time, it was actually possible to compile and
run small lisp programs on a 1MB Macintosh Plus.  And even
with a later version (1991), I was able to develop some natural language
processing software on a 2,5MB Mac SE (a 8Mhz 68000 machine) I had
at home - without getting too frustrated :-)

So MCL really convinced me that Common Lisp could be used for
general-purpose programming.  By now, everyone should be
convinced, since even the footprint of larger implementations
isn't really that big anymore (compared to all the "standard"
fatware people use), but now everyone is gazing at the
emperor's new Java clothes :-(

--

regards,
  Espen Vestre