From: Steve Gonedes
Subject: Re: saving images and variables
Sam Steingold <ยทยทยท@usa.net> writes:

< set a variable, save the image, run it, what value should the variable
< have?  I thought the new value you set.  Am I wrong?

No. You should try setting the variable *read-default-float-format* in
the toplevel (tpl) package instead; you can use tpl:setq-default for
this. Also try setting excl::*daylight-savings-time-observed-p* to
`t'. Odd perhaps, none the less, this seems to make it work for me.

< What am I doing wrong?

I believe it sets this value
(common-lisp-user::*read-default-float-format*)
based on tpl:... when it starts; or something like this - I honostly
forget the whole story and am too tired to look it up right now.

< I just started to dump my own images, all this stuff is new to me, and I
< would appreciate any enlightenment I can get.  Thanks.

Try using the following to dump an image - it has a nicer interface
and lots of options to play with.

(excl:build-lisp-image  #p"name.core.whatever"
                 :dribble-file #p"dump.txt"
                 :internal-debug #p"build.lisp"
                 :verbose t)

It logs everything to file so that you can see what happened - pretty
nify.