From: Matt Balaun
Subject: lisp for newton
Would anyone reading this newsgroup happen to know of a good/decent Lisp
interpreter/debugger for the Apple Newton?  Or, since the next generation
of Newtons (I think they're calling them Message Pads now) will have a
version of MacOS Lite (instead of NewtonOS, like the old ones have),
does anyone have any information on whether or not existing Lisp
interpreters/debuggers for MacOS will work on the new MacOS Lite?

Thanks!

-matt balaun

--
Matthew R. Balaun, Sophomore Computer Science Major
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, USA

ICQ# 7802922

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: lisp for newton
In article <··········@catapult.gatech.edu>, ·······@acmez.gatech.edu
(Matt Balaun) wrote:

> Would anyone reading this newsgroup happen to know of a good/decent Lisp
> interpreter/debugger for the Apple Newton?

There is a Lisp interpreter for the Newton. Should be
accessible via the usual Newton archives. Nothing fancy though.

Usually you will develop applications on the Newton with
NewtonScript. The development environment for
NewtonScript is called "Newton Toolkit", runs on Macs and
Windows and is freely available. NewtonScript has
similar semantics/look&feel as certain Lisp systems (closures,
symbols, incremental development with integrated
interpreter/compiler, frames=objects, GC, ...).

>  Or, since the next generation
> of Newtons (I think they're calling them Message Pads now) will have a
> version of MacOS Lite (instead of NewtonOS, like the old ones have),
> does anyone have any information on whether or not existing Lisp
> interpreters/debuggers for MacOS will work on the new MacOS Lite?

How about the usual Lisp **compilers**?

Since few people know what MacOS Lite will look like (if there will be
one) or what capabilities a next generation Newton will have,
you should just ask this question again next year. ;-)

Hmm, let's assume we have a small handheld device running MacOS (e.g. it
has some kind of reasonable user interface) with plenty
memory. Now get rid of all the other applications and start a Lisp
system by default. What should it look like? What would you
do with it? How about portable information manager written in Lisp
with AI capabilities?

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/
From: Mike Reddy
>There is a Lisp interpreter for the Newton. Should be
>accessible via the usual Newton archives. Nothing fancy though.

Any ideas what it is called or a more definite URL?

--
The box said: "Requires MS Windows 3.11 or better"... so I got a Macintosh!