From: Timothy
Subject: What do I use to write LISP with?
I'm would like to learn LISP but don't know where to start? Any good
books? How does one write LISP programs? Is it on an editor which then
has to be compiled like in C?
Thanks.

Timothy.
From: David Bakhash
Subject: Re: What do I use to write LISP with?
please note that some of these questions are religious, and so you'll
doubtlessly get some religious-sounding answers.  So here's mine.
This answer is not right or wrong.  Just opinion.

First off, Emacs (or in my opinion, XEmacs (better)) is the editor of
choice.  It is, to begin with Lisp-based, and is just great for all
Lisp programming.  If you a PC, you can get some good free stuff off
the web (even for MS crap, though I think you'd be far better off with
Linux).  Then, using GNU emacs (since XEmacs doesn't work for PC's (at
least not robustly) you can edit CL fairly well (either check out
ilisp-mode, or the Allegro fi: interface that you can download from
Franz Inc.

I use Steele's book, but it's actually on-line at:

http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/ai-repository/ai/html/cltl/clm/node1.html

dave