From: George Smith
Subject: Re: Cheating Franz
"Jacques TRONEL" <··············@bigfoot.com> writes:

>Got a copy of ftp Allegro Common Lisp (Franz) which is not supposed to =
>work after 1/1/98. Of course there is the obvious trick of =
>time-travelling via PC Clock... But I find it a little tedious. Has =
>anybody a better cheat? And the limitations (heap size, no disass, no =
>saveimage) are frustrating. A newcomer on PC's, I can't crack like I =
>used to on Macs. By the way I do like this program but cannot afford the =
>registered version.
>tedious. Has anybody a better cheat? And the limitations (heap size,
>disass,
>no saveimage) are frustrating. A newcomer on PC's, I can't crack like I
>used to
>on Macs. By the way I do like this program but cannot afford the
>registered version.

Switch to linux. Then you don't have to cheat them. The linux version is
free and doesn't have the limitations of the free Windows version.

-George

From: David Bakhash
> Switch to linux. Then you don't have to cheat them. The linux version is
> free and doesn't have the limitations of the free Windows version.

but does the Linux version have all the awesome stuff that the
non-free one has?

dave
From: George Smith
David Bakhash <·····@bu.edu> writes:

>> Switch to linux. Then you don't have to cheat them. The linux version is
>> free and doesn't have the limitations of the free Windows version.
>
>but does the Linux version have all the awesome stuff that the
>non-free one has?

As far as I can tell, the only limitation of the free *linux* version
is that it is unsupported and that you can't use it for commercial
purposes. The original poster, it seems, doesn't want to use the
product for commercial purposes. The free *windows* version is
on the other hand very limited, and is probably mainly good for
learning.

See http://www.franz.com/ for details

-George
From: Bulent Murtezaoglu

    DB> but does the Linux version have all the awesome stuff that the
    DB> non-free one has?

The compiler is there, their CLX is there, LEP is there (consequently
their emacs package works fine).  No composer (so you miss nice
graphs etc. in profiling, and object browsing inspection etc.), no CLIM.
As far as I know, you cannot get those packages for love or money
under Linux.  It is an excellent product, very stable in my experience.
They did port their v. 5 to Linux as well.

Don't cheat these people! Instead indicate your willingness to pay
a few hundred more for CLIM composer etc. with the same restricted
licence under Linux. I would!

If by awesome stuff you mean a high level graphics package, you might
want to try Garnet.  It pretty much runs out of the box and it does come
with a lot of nifty tools and excellent documentation (MUCH better
documentation IMHO than CLIM documentation of 4-5 years ago).

BM
From: Rainer Joswig
Bulent Murtezaoglu <·····@servtech.com> writes:

>     DB> but does the Linux version have all the awesome stuff that the
>     DB> non-free one has?
>
> The compiler is there, their CLX is there, LEP is there (consequently
> their emacs package works fine).  No composer (so you miss nice
> graphs etc. in profiling, and object browsing inspection etc.), no CLIM.

Franz is interested in porting CLIM to Linux. They already gave
the source to someone I now for porting.

Btw., how STUPID can someone be? Posting such a question
to a news group? I only could think somebody has used
the account of somebody else.