From: Steven D. Majewski
Subject: Re: redefining functions using the old function
In article <················@naggum.no>, Erik Naggum  <······@naggum.no> wrote:
>* Steven D. Majewski
>| Is there a *proper* way to do this sort of redefinition?
>
>  I suggest you look for some kind of advice facility in your Lisp.  such
>  advice can be managed better than redefinitions can, yet have the effect
>  you want.

Thanks.

>  not all Lisps have an advice facility, however.

Unfortunately, mine doesn't.
Tim Bradshaw answered by email that:
 there might be a portable advice in the CMU archives
	 ( If there is I haven't found it yet. )
 That I could stuff the old value into the property list of the symbol.
 ( And I think I can write some macros to do this consistently so
   I don't have to remember whether I called it OLD-* or WAS-* or
   something else. )

I'm not sure why I didn't think of property lists, except that the
last time I tried to use them for something similar, they were not
appropriate, as what I really needed was to bind some optional values
to the lisp object, not to it's symbol/name which could change. In
this case, I really do want to do this by name.

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <·····@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
	"Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
	God said, let Newton be! and all was light." - pope