From: Jack Harper
Subject: Restoring Symbolics 3650
Hello all...

I was recently given a Symbolics 3650 along with several large boxes of
associated items. With luck, I hope to restore the machine to operating
condition.

Are there any other people out there that are trying to bring ancient
Symbolics machines back to life -- I would very much like to hear from you --
we could trade advice and counsel as well as hopefully parts etc etc.

Regards

Jack Harper

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Restoring Symbolics 3650
In article <············@news-2.csn.net>, ·······@bs2000.com (Jack Harper)
wrote:

> Hello all...
>
> I was recently given a Symbolics 3650 along with several large boxes of
> associated items. With luck, I hope to restore the machine to operating
> condition.
>
> Are there any other people out there that are trying to bring ancient
> Symbolics machines back to life -- I would very much like to hear from you --
> we could trade advice and counsel as well as hopefully parts etc etc.
>
> Regards
>
> Jack Harper

Try also on slug @ ai . sri . com . The Symbolics Lisp Users Group mailing
list. Very nice and helpful people there.

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/
From: Chuck Fry
In article <············@news-2.csn.net>,
Jack Harper <·······@bs2000.com> wrote:
>Are there any other people out there that are trying to bring ancient
>Symbolics machines back to life -- I would very much like to hear from you --
>we could trade advice and counsel as well as hopefully parts etc etc.

While I don't own any of the hardware or have any documentation, I
worked at the Symbolics factory in the 36xx era, and could offer advice
on how to repair these beasts.  Sorry to say, I can't work miracles, but
I can offer help on "cherry-picking" from a pile of parts.

Please contact me at ······@chucko.com if you have questions.
 -- Chuck
--
	    Chuck Fry -- Jack of all trades, master of none
 ······@chucko.com (text only please), ········@home.com (MIME enabled),
From: Patrick Tufts
·······@bs2000.com (Jack Harper) writes:
>Are there any other people out there that are trying to bring ancient
>Symbolics machines back to life -- I would very much like to hear from you --
>we could trade advice and counsel as well as hopefully parts etc etc.

I brought a 3640 back to life after scavenging from another 3640 and a
3670.  I don't know about 3650 parts, but I know that you will
occasionally see 3640s and parts for free or nearly so.  There are a
lot of these machines sitting around in closets.

In addition to the Symbolics Users Group (SLUG) mailing list, there's
a web page called, I think, the Symbolics Museum.  It has lots of info
on the history of the machine and the company.  It'll turn up in a web
search.

--Pat
From: Barry Margolin
In article <············@new-news.cc.brandeis.edu>,
Patrick Tufts <·····@cs.brandeis.edu> wrote:
>I brought a 3640 back to life after scavenging from another 3640 and a
>3670.  I don't know about 3650 parts, but I know that you will
>occasionally see 3640s and parts for free or nearly so.  There are a
>lot of these machines sitting around in closets.

Unfortunately, most components are not interchangeable between 3640 and
3650.  The 3600, 3640 and 3670 are L-machines, while the 3620 and 3650 are
G-machines.  IIRC, the only boards that can be used in both are memory
boards, and maybe I/O boards.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
From: Will Ackel
I am designing an interface to a 3-D graphics system from LISP.  I know
that Symbolics was doing this sort of thing toward the end.  Is there
anyone who has the manuals for the Symbolics 3-D system?

Thanks

Will

--
Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome.
The e-mail address needs to be modified, but if you're
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·······················@wackel.cts.com>,
······@cts.com.no.spam.please (Will Ackel) wrote:

> I am designing an interface to a 3-D graphics system from LISP.  I know
> that Symbolics was doing this sort of thing toward the end.  Is there
> anyone who has the manuals for the Symbolics 3-D system?

The S-Products are now available as "N-Products" ;-) from
Nichimen (http://www.nichimen.com/).

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/