From: Bob Manjoney
Subject: Newbie CLOS Question
I'm checking out CLOS (Allegro CL) for Windows...My background is in
Smalltalk.

I'm dismayed by the apparent lack of frameworks for developing applications
that support a clean separation between the GUI and Domain model, i.e.,
something akin to the Model-View architecture available in Smalltalk.

What support (if any) exists for decoupling a GUI from a Domain model?  Is
there a dependency mechanism for synchronizing object state?  A generalized
event-signalling/update-observers  mechanism?  Value-adapting mechanisms for
presenting aspects of objects to other objects?  Obviously I'm looking for
existing class library solutions...

Thanks to anyone who cares to respond.

Bob Manjoney
Senior Software Developer
McHugh Software International
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Newbie CLOS Question
In article <············@news2.alpha.net>,
Bob Manjoney <···············@mchugh.com> wrote:
>I'm checking out CLOS (Allegro CL) for Windows...My background is in
>Smalltalk.
>
>I'm dismayed by the apparent lack of frameworks for developing applications
>that support a clean separation between the GUI and Domain model, i.e.,
>something akin to the Model-View architecture available in Smalltalk.

Common Lisp (including CLOS) is a programming language, not a full
programming environment.  Application frameworks are way outside the scope
of the language standardization.

If you want to see a powerful CLOS-based GUI, take a look at CLIM.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com