From: Bill Birch
Subject: Little Lisp Web Server?
Hi,

I was wondering if people would find a use for a little web server that
executes all in Lisp. In simple terms it would be a single executable
that is a server and lisp interpreter in one. The web server component
would automatically unpack HTTP header fields, cookies, username
password and CGI fields and place then in an argument list.Empahsis
would be on HTTP/CGI integration. To write a simple app, you would run
the server on a designated port. Incoming requests would result in
function calls. Emphasis would be on small footprint. ie this little
sever would be a tool for hacking up quickie apps. Does such a thing
exist already?

Bill

From: Rob Warnock
Subject: Re: Little Lisp Web Server?
Bill Birch  <······@ctp.com> wrote:
+---------------
| I was wondering if people would find a use for a little web server that
| executes all in Lisp...  would be a tool for hacking up quickie apps.
| Does such a thing exist already?
+---------------

Yeah, in various flavors & complexities. For what may be the simplest
possible example server (in Scheme), see the file "http-server.scm" that
comes with the SIOD distribution:

	http://people.delphi.com/gjc/siod.html

It's only ~60 lines of Scheme, and though really only a "toy" example
is still quite useful for debugging browser problems or as a basis for
experimenting with server-embedded applications.

For something quite a bit more useful (but also quite a bit larger),
also in Scheme, look for the Scheme Underground HTTP Server (SU-HTTP):

	http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/scsh/contrib/net/su-httpd.html

and of course, for a complete production-quality server in Common Lisp,
there's CL-HTTP:

	http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, 7L-551		····@sgi.com   http://reality.sgi.com/rpw3/
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		Phone: 650-933-1673 [New area code!]
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.		FAX: 650-933-4392
Mountain View, CA  94043	PP-ASEL-IA
From: Zellyn Hunter
Bill Birch (······@ctp.com) wrote:
: I was wondering if people would find a use for a little web server that
: executes all in Lisp. In simple terms it would be a single executable
: that is a server and lisp interpreter in one. The web server component

http://www.franz.com/tech/technotes.main.html

The April and May 1997 notes are almost exactly what you asked for.

Hope that helps!
Zellyn

--
Zellyn Hunter