From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Default :USE package list
Hi,

here is another one.

How can you find out what is the default list of packages passed to
MAKE-PACKAGE in various Common Lisp implementations?

I am interested in the following implementations

Lispworks
Allegro
CLISP
GCL
MCL

CMUCL has the variable *DEFAULT-PACKAGE-USE-LIST*.

Please also tell me what are the set of features I need to
discriminate the various cases, especially w.r.t the underlying OS.

Thanks in advance.

tel. +39 - (0)6 - 68 80 79 23, fax. +39 - (0)6 - 68 80 79 26
http://www.parades.rm.cnr.it
From: Nick Levine
Subject: Re: Default :USE package list
In article <··············@galvani.parades.rm.cnr.it>, ·······@parades.rm.cnr.it wrote:

>How can you find out what is the default list of packages passed to
>MAKE-PACKAGE in various Common Lisp implementations?

In Liquid Common Lisp 5.x (#+LCL5.0), lcl:*default-make-package-use-list*. Its
default value is the following list of packages (nb, not package names):

  (#<Package "LISP" 5C207E>
   #<Package "LIQUID-COMMON-LISP" 5C20DE>
   #<Package "LISPWORKS" 5C213E>)

(Note: if ansi-packages module loaded, LISP package in the above is replaced
by COMMON-LISP package)

In Harlequin LispWorks 4.x and LispWorks for Windows 4.x (#+lispworks4)
hcl:*default-package-use-list*. Its default value is a list of package names:
("COMMON-LISP" "HARLEQUIN-COMMON-LISP" "LISPWORKS")

In all the above, you can include the default use-list in a package definition
by using the keyword :add-use-defaults, thus

  (defpackage "FOO" (:use "BAR") (:add-use-defaults t))

[Backward compatability note: In LispWorks 3.2.x  (#+lispworks3.2) the
variable was lw:*default-package-use-list*. Its value was ("COMMON-LISP"
"LISPWORKS"); there was no :add-use-defaults option to defpackage in this
version.]

- nick