From: Martin Rodgers
Subject: Re: "Programming is FUN again" rambling commentary
······@exploited.barmy.army wheezed these wise words:

> And I can't blame them.  I'd happily program in FORTH or Scheme
> or Common Lisp or Haskell or a billion other languages (including
> Ada) over C or C++ any day.

Snap! C/C++ is pure batch oriented hell. If you like these languages,
and the tools for them, then you're not far from using punched cards.

> >What did I write? Mostly simulation games -- the user was driving a tank
> >across a battlefield being shelled by an unseen army. If you got all the
> >way across alive, you won.
>
> I remember those kinds of games :).

So do I! I still have a wonderful book called Stimulating Simulations.
I used to used the Monster Chase program as a way of exploring any
language that I was learning. It was perfect in Forth. When I started
using Lisp, this changed. I moved from resursive desent parsers, in C,
to code that _wrote_ parsers, in Lisp. NFA and DFA crunching.

After that, I mainly wrote code to crunch Lisp expressions. ;) No more
interactive ASCII graphical games. The games were more abstract. The
hex dumps were replaced by s-exprs, DFA graphs, parse trees, etc.

Loads of fun.
--
Please note: my email address is munged; You can never browse enough
         "There are no limits." -- ad copy for Hellraiser