From: Elric of Imrryr
Subject: FA: $2.00 LISP  By Patrick Henry Wilson & Berthold Klaus Paul Horn of MIT
For sale via auction, starting at $2.00.
Auction ends: 03/12/98 16:10:13 PST.

To bid go to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7745229

LISP  By Patrick Henry Wilson & Berthold Klaus Paul Horn of MIT

Addison-Wesley, Softcover, 1984. 433 pages. Textbook. Some marking and
highlighting inside book.

From the Preface�.

This book is about Lisp, a programming language that takes its name from
List Programming.
Until recently, the LISP programming language appeared to be breaking up
into many dialects, with 110 single dialect dominating the others.
Fortunately, however, a powerful group of world-class programming-
language experts, representing many key institutions have designed COMMON
LISP, a happy amalgam of the features in previous LISPs. We believe
COMMON LISP has the beauty to be a worthy standard, and perhaps more
importantly, we believe COMMON LISP has the necessary documentation arid
commercial support to be a real standard, widely available.
Consequently, COMMON LISP is the dialect of LISP used in this second
edition. People who have access to MACLISP or INTERLISP, but not to
COMMON LISP, should have little trouble adapting.

By switching to COMMON LISP, we have simultaneously made the material
useful to a much larger audience, and we have improved on the first
edition, taking advantage of certain LISP features we dared not use
before. For the cognoscenti, here are the most conspicuous of those
improvements:

� We introduce the backquote mechanism, greatly increasing the
transparency of macro definition and of PRINT arguments.
� We introduce structures via DEFSTRUCT.
� We introduce the generalized assignment function, SETF, for properties,
structures, and arrays.
� We use lexical scoping as the default, with dynamic scoping in reserve.
� We eliminate PROG constructions, replacing them with DO, LET, and
ordinary recursion, as appropriate.
� We eliminate FEXPRs, replacing them with optional-argument
constructions and macros, as appropriate.

Of course, we have taken advantage of the opportunity to improve the book
in other ways.

� We have introduced discussions of procedure abstraction and data
abstraction.
� We have added an introduction to message passing and flavors in the
chapter on object-centered programming.
� We have completely redone the chapters on mathematical examples,
natural-language interfaces, symbolic pattern matching,
and rule-based expert systems.

.
Buyer pays $4.00 for S/H priority mail higher outside the US.

Any questions ···············@usa.net . AOL Instant Messenger: Brad Ebay1