From: Carmen
Subject: Newbie in Lisp
I'm an University student and we are going to begin with Lisp
programming but it's very simple. Is there any Lisp editor or
environment for Windows?

	Thanks

	Francisco Jesús Gómez Mesa

mailto: ····@cip.es

From: ······@exploited.barmy.army
Subject: Re: Newbie in Lisp
In article <·············@ibm.net>, Carmen  <···@ibm.net> wrote:
>I'm an University student and we are going to begin with Lisp
>programming but it's very simple. Is there any Lisp editor or
>environment for Windows?

Yes, at least two that I know of.
	1) Harlequin's FreeLisp
	2) Allegro Common Lisp

Both have integrated editors, and both are very nice systems.
The Allegro is fancier, offering visual GUI design, and a more
elaborate interface.  I don't believe Harlequin's FreeLisp
offers anything like that, but it is still more than enough
for your needs.

As the name implies, Harlequin's FreeLisp is free.
Allegro Common Lisp is available for free download as a limited
version (but all the Common Lisp functionality is there, and
more I believe).

For the record (and it may not mean much to you at this point),
I use FreeLisp in preference to Allegro because Allegro considers
typing a newline in response to a (read) function to be an error.
Again, which you choose is up to you.

I'm running a P-100, 16 Megs of RAM, and I'm happy with both.
(Start Up time for Allegro is a bit long, but after it starts
up, it runs fine).

I don't remember the URL for harlequin, you can try
http://www.harlequin.com (I may be full of it though).

Allegro should be http://www.franz.com

You can do web searches for both system, and a web search
for the Lisp FAQ will reveal more info about implementations.

>	Thanks
>
>	Francisco Jes=FAs G=F3mez Mesa
>
>mailto: ····@cip.es

PS: My email address is altered to avoid spam.  To respond
    send mail to punkrock at cs dot uh dot edu.
From: Marco Antoniotti
John Arley Burns <······@utwig.mesas.com> writes:

> Emacs is an option.

There are no other options anywhere! :)

tel. +39 - (0)6 - 68 80 79 23, fax. +39 - (0)6 - 68 80 79 26
http://www.parades.rm.cnr.it