From: Ian A. White
Subject: Re: AAAhhhh!!!!...."Impossible" to purge several layers
On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:09:44 +1000, "Cad Drafter"
<········@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>I have several layers in an AutoCADr12 file which I am finding impossible to purge.  so far I have :
>-  Purged the dwg, saved, re-opened and re-purged...(as you do)
>-  Exploded ALL blocks (ensuring there are no nested blocks within blocks...etc.)
>-  Created a selection set of all entities within the dwg...then compared that number with the number of entities returned when I listed everything in the dwg by window...(these matched)
>-  Created a selection set of all the problem layers (they are all prefixed by 23a)...this returned zilch.
>-  Blocked out everything by window to a new file...(no luck)
>-  Kicked the neighbours dog...(surprisingly therapeutic!)
>-  Erased everything and then purged the dwg..(pointless...but it worked)
>
>Note: The information was provided by external source.  Entities did exist on these layers but I have erased or change the layers of these entities to suit my own requirements.
>                     Thanks in advance to any possible suggestions!!!
>
>P.S. If more info is required please post to this group.

Why not zip and e-mail me the drawing (NOT to the newsgroup).

--

Regards,

Ian A. White, CPEng
WAI Engineering
Sydney 2000
Australia

Ph:  +61 418 203 229
Fax: +61 2 9622 0450

Junk e-mail will be returned, as is, to the sender's host system.

From: [Invalid-From-Line]
Why don't you try to Wblock out everything you want to keep.

--
Chris
·········@sprintmail.com

From: Cad Drafter
Good suggestion but you may notice that I have already tried that.
Cheers.
<············@newsfep4.sprintmail.com>...

From: Cad Drafter

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01BD4831.F569F040

...I've just had a minor revelation concerning my dilemma.  I in
fact inserted the information provided by the engineer into my dwg while =
in
a model space viewport in paperspace.  If I erase the viewport and then
purge the dwg the layers are successfully removed.  Hooray! This is the
solution to the problem...however I am at a loss to explain exactly how
these layers are "embedded" in the mspace vport???  I am sorry to have
wasted your time making you download the digital data though I would
appreciate it if you have any suggestions to offer on why it happened.

·········@sprintmail.com wrote in message =
<············@newsfep4.sprintmail.com>...
>Why don't you try to Wblock out everything you want to keep.
>
>--
>Chris
>·········@sprintmail.com
>Ian A. White wrote in message <················@news.zip.com.au>...
>On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:09:44 +1000, "Cad Drafter"
><········@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>>I have several layers in an AutoCADr12 file which I am finding =
impossible
>to purge.  so far I have :
>>-  Purged the dwg, saved, re-opened and re-purged...(as you do)
>>-  Exploded ALL blocks (ensuring there are no nested blocks within
>blocks...etc.)
>>-  Created a selection set of all entities within the dwg...then =
compared
>that number with the number of entities returned when I listed =
everything in
>the dwg by window...(these matched)
>>-  Created a selection set of all the problem layers (they are all =
prefixed
>by 23a)...this returned zilch.
>>-  Blocked out everything by window to a new file...(no luck)
>>-  Kicked the neighbours dog...(surprisingly therapeutic!)
>>-  Erased everything and then purged the dwg..(pointless...but it =
worked)

>>Note: The information was provided by external source.  Entities did =
exist
>on these layers but I have erased or change the layers of these =
entities to
>suit my own requirements.
>>                     Thanks in advance to any possible suggestions!!!
>>
>>P.S. If more info is required please post to this group.
>
>Why not zip and e-mail me the drawing (NOT to the newsgroup).
>

>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Ian A. White, CPEng
>WAI Engineering
>Sydney 2000
>Australia
>
>Ph:  +61 418 203 229
>Fax: +61 2 9622 0450
>
>Junk e-mail will be returned, as is, to the sender's host system.

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01BD4831.F569F040

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>...I've just had a minor revelation concerning my=20
dilemma.&nbsp; I in<BR>fact inserted the information provided by the =
engineer=20
into my dwg while in<BR>a model space viewport in paperspace.&nbsp; If I =
erase=20
the viewport and then<BR>purge the dwg the layers are successfully=20
removed.&nbsp; Hooray! This is the<BR>solution to the problem...however =
I am at=20
a loss to explain exactly how<BR>these layers are &quot;embedded&quot; =
in the=20
mspace vport???&nbsp; I am sorry to have<BR>wasted your time making you =
download=20
the digital data though I would<BR>appreciate it if you have any =
suggestions to=20
offer on why it happened.<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><A=20
························@sprintmail.com">·········@sprintmail.com<CJDESIG=
··@SPRINTMAIL.COM></A>=20
wrote in message &lt;<A=20
···························@newsfep4.sprintmail.com">············@newsfep=
4.sprintmail.com</A>&gt;...</DIV>&gt;Why=20
don't you try to Wblock out everything you want to=20
keep.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;--<BR>&gt;Chris<BR>&gt;<A=20
························@sprintmail.com">·········@sprintmail.com</A><BR>=
&gt;Ian=20
A. White wrote in message &lt;<A=20
·······························@news.zip.com.au">················@news.zi=
p.com.au</A>&gt;...<BR>&gt;On=20
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:09:44 +1000, &quot;Cad Drafter&quot;<BR>&gt;&lt;<A=20
·······················@ozemail.com.au">········@ozemail.com.au</A>&gt;=20
wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;I have several layers in an AutoCADr12 file =
which I am=20
finding impossible<BR>&gt;to purge.&nbsp; so far I have =
:<BR>&gt;&gt;-&nbsp;=20
Purged the dwg, saved, re-opened and re-purged...(as you =
do)<BR>&gt;&gt;-&nbsp;=20
Exploded ALL blocks (ensuring there are no nested blocks=20
within<BR>&gt;blocks...etc.)<BR>&gt;&gt;-&nbsp; Created a selection set =
of all=20
entities within the dwg...then compared<BR>&gt;that number with the =
number of=20
entities returned when I listed everything in<BR>&gt;the dwg by =
window...(these=20
matched)<BR>&gt;&gt;-&nbsp; Created a selection set of all the problem =
layers=20
(they are all prefixed<BR>&gt;by 23a)...this returned =
zilch.<BR>&gt;&gt;-&nbsp;=20
Blocked out everything by window to a new file...(no =
luck)<BR>&gt;&gt;-&nbsp;=20
Kicked the neighbours dog...(surprisingly =
therapeutic!)<BR>&gt;&gt;-&nbsp;=20
Erased everything and then purged the dwg..(pointless...but it=20
worked)<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Note: The information was provided by =
external=20
source.&nbsp; Entities did exist<BR>&gt;on these layers but I have =
erased or=20
change the layers of these entities to<BR>&gt;suit my own=20
requirements.<BR>&gt;&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =

Thanks in advance to any possible =
suggestions!!!<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;P.S. If=20
more info is required please post to this group.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Why not =
zip and=20
e-mail me the drawing (NOT to the=20
newsgroup).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;--<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Regards,<BR>&gt;<BR>=
&gt;Ian=20
A. White, CPEng<BR>&gt;WAI Engineering<BR>&gt;Sydney=20
2000<BR>&gt;Australia<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Ph:&nbsp; +61 418 203 =
229<BR>&gt;Fax: +61 2=20
9622 0450<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Junk e-mail will be returned, as is, to the =
sender's=20
host system.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;</BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01BD4831.F569F040--
From: David Radtke
Were the offending layers frozen in the viewport?  That seems to be
enough to convince AutoCAD that the layer is in use.  When an unwanted
layer won't purge, check all the viewports in paper space and make sure
that the layer is thawed in all viewports.  That usually does it for
me...