From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: Lisp + RedHat 5.1 +- Motif 2.1
Pierre Mai <····@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> a) CMU Common Lisp, see http://www.cons.org/cmucl/ (free)
>    I haven't testet CMUCL under glibc/RH 5.1, OTOH I haven't heard
>    about any problems using it ...

CMUCL is statically linked and doesn't care for the libc version of
the system it is running on, it brings its own with it.

Rebuilding the runtime is a different issue, but patches for doing so
under glibc2 are available.

[...]
> > Will the motif libraries become necessary (not necessary for Lisp) sooner
> > or later ?

No. Although CMUCL has some goodies based on Motif support, but they
are far from ncecessary. They run with Lesstiff and old Motif versions
anyway.

Given that the free software world rapidly moves to more sane things
like Gtk and QT/KDE, that free Lisp GUI development doesn't seem to
use Motif anymore and that commerical Lisps are linked statically
against Motif libraries, I don't think you need Motif at all nor that
you should start using it if you don't already.

Martin
From: Peter.VanEynde
Martin Cracauer <········@waldstrasse.cons.org> wrote:
: Pierre Mai <····@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

:> a) CMU Common Lisp, see http://www.cons.org/cmucl/ (free)
:>    I haven't testet CMUCL under glibc/RH 5.1, OTOH I haven't heard
:>    about any problems using it ...

: CMUCL is statically linked and doesn't care for the libc version of
: the system it is running on, it brings its own with it.

Err. Actually the experimental version is statically linked
because I wanted to minimize problems. The real release
should be a dynamic library because it needs to be
a dynamic version to use the dynamic loader to load
c libraries.

I'll try to build versions for libc5 and libc6, but first
I want to solve the error-checking.

Groetjes, Peter

--
It's logic Jim, but not as we know it.    http://hipe.uia.ac.be/~s950045