From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: Old (CLtL1) CMU CL (or other lisp)
······@zedat.fu-berlin.de (George Smith) writes:

> I would like to try out some very interesting code which is said to comply
> with CLtL1. It is said to have worked under CMU Common Lisp 17c. It
> definitely won't work under 17f and 18a, the two versions I have. The code
> is quite complex and I don't relish the thought of trying to alter it so
> that it will work with a later lisp.
>
> Does anyone know where I can get Solaris binaries for CMU CL 17c? Failing
> that, I would also be interested in the source code for 17c.

You mean Solaris-2.x/SunOS-5.x? Support for SunOS-5.x has been added
in 17f in November 94.

> www.cons.org doesn't seem to have versions that are that old.

I put a copy of 17c for SunOS-4.x on
http://daemon.hanse.de/home/cracauer/

It is not impossible, but still unlikely, that this runs on recent
Solaris Version's SunOS emulation. You probably need to set up 1
SunOS-4.1.x SPARC.

> What other CLtL1 Lisps might I still be able to download? I started using
> Lisp about the time that CLtL2 was published, so I'm not too sure which
> versions of what to look for.

I'm not sure you will succeed in just hunting the oldest Lisp system
you can get ahold of. Maybe you could post a log of the problems you
see with a recent version of CMUCL?

Martin
From: George Smith
Martin Cracauer <········@waldstrasse.cons.org> writes:

>······@zedat.fu-berlin.de (George Smith) writes:
>
>> I would like to try out some very interesting code which is said to comply
>> with CLtL1. It is said to have worked under CMU Common Lisp 17c. It
>> definitely won't work under 17f and 18a, the two versions I have. The code
>> is quite complex and I don't relish the thought of trying to alter it so
>> that it will work with a later lisp.

>I put a copy of 17c for SunOS-4.x on
>http://daemon.hanse.de/home/cracauer/
>
>It is not impossible, but still unlikely, that this runs on recent
>Solaris Version's SunOS emulation. You probably need to set up 1
>SunOS-4.1.x SPARC.

For some reason I can't seem to acces the above link (broken pipe). This
has been true for the past several days.

>I'm not sure you will succeed in just hunting the oldest Lisp system
>you can get ahold of. Maybe you could post a log of the problems you
>see with a recent version of CMUCL?

Maybe this ist the best route after all, since I know Lisp better than
Unix and C. The first error messages I got were due to old buitl-in
package names, CLtL1-style package definitions and #'in-package with
keywords. I seem to have found all of those problems. I say seem to since
the code implements a very complex package system. Now I have to test the
code to see if it works reliably.

Thanks for the suggestions,

George Smith
Institut fuer Germanistik