From: Scott L. Burson
Subject: Re: J13 membership
Kent M Pitman wrote:

> The biggest expense is not membership ($600/yr) but travel to
> meetings

Any idea when & where the next meeting is likely to be?

-- Scott

				  * * * * *

To use the email address, remove all occurrences of the letter "q".
From: Kent M Pitman
"Scott L. Burson" <·····@zeta-sqoft.com> writes:

> Kent M Pitman wrote:
> >
> > The biggest expense is not membership ($600/yr) but travel to
> > meetings
>
> Any idea when & where the next meeting is likely to be?

There's no meeting scheduled, but if I had to guess, I'd say it would
be a phone meeting.  Last one we had, we got together at Harlequin in
Cambridge, MA and at Franz in Berkeley, CA and set up a phone link
between the two sites.  I don't think that would work for a "real"
meeting, but it works for the pro forma required meetings that we have
to do right now while we're between major activities.

(Committees can go into hibernation, and ordinarily we would, but if
we did our liaison activities with the international Lisp working
group would be taken over by another group during the interim.  We
have to keep the group "awake" in order to respond to potential issues
in the international arena.)

Even when the group was meeting regularly, we mostly met in the Boston
and San Francisco (usually Palo Alto) areas because those were where
most people were located.  In principle, though, any member can offer
to host a meeting and the decision is made by the Chairman from among
the available options.  The ready availability of appropriate meeting
space (preferrably free) is often a key factor, as are good air/hotel
rates and fairness to members in terms of equitably sharing the travel
burden over time.