From: Clint Hyde
Subject: some built-in printing behavior I want to turn off

an app I'm working on these days assigns an attribute called 'FUNCTION
to an alist on some objects. when I print the alist, I of course get

'(... #'FOO ...)

when what I'd like is:

'(... (FUNCTION FOO) ...)

Q is, how do I turn off that #' printing behavior?

please reply direct, I seem to be having trouble finding this newsgroup
in my browser :)

--
Clint Hyde		"Give me a LispM or give me death!" -- anonymous

BBN				Internet:  ·····@bbn.com
Columbia, MD		(410) 309-8361

From: Kent M Pitman
Clint Hyde <·····@bbn.com> writes:

> Q is, how do I turn off that #' printing behavior?

You could bind *print-pretty* to nil.  Or, if you need the pretty
printer, you could customize pretty-printing of FUNCTION.  My recollection
is that this is easy to do, but I don't recall exactly how.  You could
check CLHS.
 http://www.harlequin.com/education/books/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/index.html
In the printer chapter, there's a section or two on controlling the
pretty printer.
From: Steven M. Haflich
Clint Hyde wrote:

> when I print the alist, I of course get

> when what I'd like is:
>
> '(... (FUNCTION FOO) ...)
>
> Q is, how do I turn off that #' printing behavior?

You can specify the precise behavior in ANSI CL with set-pprint-dispatch:

  (set-pprint-dispatch '(cons (member function))
      (lambda (stm lst)  (pprint-fill stm lst t)))

Remember that *print-pprint-dispatch* can be lambda bound if you want this
behavior only in certain contexts.