From: rene
Subject: backspace usage
I compiled gnu common lisp v. 2.2.2 on my linux box. gcl works, but i
can't use my backspace key. Instead of removing the character, i get an
^H. Does someone know how i can solve this? Do i need to include some
special header-file or use an additional library?

Rene

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: backspace usage
Rene <···········@wxs.nl> wrote:
> I compiled gnu common lisp v. 2.2.2 on my linux box. gcl works, but i
> can't use my backspace key. Instead of removing the character, i get an
> ^H. Does someone know how i can solve this? Do i need to include some
> special header-file or use an additional library?

Is this really a bug in gcl? Try "cat" instead of "gcl", and type some
input, with backspace. Terminate with Ctrl-D. ("cat" is one of the simplest
programs that exist. It certainly does not fiddle with backspace.)

I bet you get the same problem with "cat". This means that your terminal's
settings are not right. Try "man stty", "stty sane", and "stty erase ^H"
in that order.

Good Linux distributions get this right.

                            Bruno
From: Adam Przybyla
rene <···········@wxs.nl> wrote:
> I compiled gnu common lisp v. 2.2.2 on my linux box. gcl works, but i
> can't use my backspace key. Instead of removing the character, i get an
> ^H. Does someone know how i can solve this? Do i need to include some
> special header-file or use an additional library?
	Add to your .login or .profile file:
	stty erase ^H
								Adam Przybyla