From: Kryddan
Subject: Learn Lisp
I want to learn to program Lisp.

What kinda program do I need? I use Win98 mostly, but also Linux Redhat5

What programs should I get ???
From: Thomas A. Russ
Subject: Re: Learn Lisp
Kryddan <·······@mbox302.swipnet.se> writes:

> I want to learn to program Lisp.

Good.  My answer to some of the rest of the questions depends a bit on
why you want to learn Lisp.

(1)  To be able to use Lisp for commercial grade programming.
(2)  To understand a bit more about programming in general.

> What kinda program do I need? I use Win98 mostly, but also Linux Redhat5

For goal (2) I would recommend getting one of the Scheme implementations
and using Sussman & Abelson's book "Structure and Interpretation of
Computer Programs" and then going through it.

For goal (1) there are a couple of choices that are not too expensive.
One of them is Harlequin's FreeLisp.  The other is Franz's comparable
offering.  For Linux, I believe Franz has a free version of their full
Common Lisp.
  I would also suggest Peter Norvig's "Paradigms of AI Programming" as a
book.  It has a lot of interesting Lisp programs.  If you need a bit
gentler introduction to Lisp than what Norvig provides, I have heard
Paul Graham's books highly recommended (although I haven't looked at
them myself)

> What programs should I get ???

See Norvig.