From: SuperDude
Subject: how to setup gcl or allegro to run in emacs?
Hi

   Could someone posssibly tell me how I can setup gcl (gnu common lisp) or
allegro to run inside
emacs.  I have allegro 4.3 and tried to get it to run in emacs, but I have
emacs 20.x.x, and it does not support
that version.  Is there some kind of fix for this.  Or could I possibly just
get an emacs 19.x.x binary and use that just
for allegro, or does allegro require a full 19.x.x setup.

thanks for any help

From: Steve Gonedes
Subject: Re: how to setup gcl or allegro to run in emacs?
"SuperDude" <·······@buf.adelphia.net> writes:

<
< Hi
<
<    Could someone posssibly tell me how I can setup gcl (gnu common lisp) or
< allegro to run inside
< emacs.  I have allegro 4.3 and tried to get it to run in emacs, but I have
< emacs 20.x.x, and it does not support
< that version.  Is there some kind of fix for this.  Or could I possibly just
< get an emacs 19.x.x binary and use that just
< for allegro, or does allegro require a full 19.x.x setup.
<
< thanks for any help

I believe that there is a new version of the fi interface for emacs
20. You probably don't need it; I remeber running the 4.3 acl fi
interface under emacs 20 - but I forget exactly what I did. So this
may or may not work - but it can't hurt any to try...

In the fi/fi-site-init.el I have the following.

(setq fi::emacs-type
  (let ((case-fold-search t))
    (cond ((or (string-match "xemacs" emacs-version)
	       (string-match "lucid" emacs-version))
	   (cond ((string-match "^20\." emacs-version) 'xemacs20)
		 (t 'xemacs19)))
	  ((string-match "^20\." emacs-version) 'emacs20)
	  ((string-match "^19\." emacs-version) 'emacs19)
	  ((string-match "^18\." emacs-version) 'emacs18)
	  ((boundp 'epoch::version) 'epoch)
	  (t
	   (error
	    "%s is not supported by this version of the emacs-lisp interface."
	    emacs-version)))))
(setq fi::emacs-type
  (let ((case-fold-search t))
    (cond ((or (string-match "xemacs" emacs-version)
	       (string-match "lucid" emacs-version))
	   (cond ((string-match "^20\." emacs-version) 'xemacs20)
		 (t 'xemacs19)))
	  ((string-match "^20\." emacs-version) 'emacs20)
	  ((string-match "^19\." emacs-version) 'emacs19)
	  ((string-match "^18\." emacs-version) 'emacs18)
	  ((boundp 'epoch::version) 'epoch)
	  (t
	   (error
	    "%s is not supported by this version of the emacs-lisp interface."
	    emacs-version)))))

I think I may have added those "^20" statements (in my
fi/fi-site-lisp) - but I might not have (I change so much stuff in my
emacs that I honestly forget. I usually mark it down - so I probably
didn't put them in). I believe that this is the only place it will
matter, and since emacs-20 is a "super set" of emacs-19 I really doubt
there will be any problems.

You may want to check on ftp://ftp.franz.com and grab a new version if
it exists (I think it does). Hope this helps some...
From: Roos Van Raadshooven L.A. (Leon)
"SuperDude" <·······@buf.adelphia.net> writes:

>Hi

>   Could someone posssibly tell me how I can setup gcl (gnu common lisp) or
>allegro to run inside
>emacs.  I have allegro 4.3 and tried to get it to run in emacs, but I have
>emacs 20.x.x, and it does not support
>that version.  Is there some kind of fix for this.  Or could I possibly just
>get an emacs 19.x.x binary and use that just
>for allegro, or does allegro require a full 19.x.x setup.

>thanks for any help

Try getting the new ACL-5.0beta. It runs fine on my Linux box with
XEmacs-20.x.x.

Leon.