From: Mari
Subject: dumb newbie question
Is there a way to do multiline comments in Common LISP/MCL?

/*
   For example, these two sentences would be comments if I was programming
   in Java.  However, I am not using Java because I'm trying to learn LISP
   and since I don't know how to do this in LISP I am stuck using a lot of
   semicolons for now.   :-)
*/

Thanks,
Mari

 Mari Masuda * ········@colby.edu
 www.colby.edu/personal/mbmasuda/
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: dumb newbie question
In article <·······································@host-00.colby.edu>,
Mari  <········@colby.edu> wrote:
>Is there a way to do multiline comments in Common LISP/MCL?

#| ...

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
Support the anti-spam movement; see <http://www.cauce.org/>
From: Frank Chen
In article <·······································@host-00.colby.edu>,
Mari wrote:
>Is there a way to do multiline comments in Common LISP/MCL?
>/*
>   For example, these two sentences would be comments if I was programming
>   in Java.  However, I am not using Java because I'm trying to learn LISP
>   and since I don't know how to do this in LISP I am stuck using a lot of
>   semicolons for now.   :-)
>*/
>Thanks,
>Mari
> Mari Masuda * ········@colby.edu
> www.colby.edu/personal/mbmasuda/
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Mari,
   Everything placed between a #| and |# is ignored.
   Two very good introductory texts on Common Lisp that I've used are:
   1) "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham.  Prentice-Hall, 1996.
      ISBN: 0-13-370875-6
   and 2) "Programming in Common Lisp" by Rodney A. Brooks.  John Wiley & Sons
      1985.
      ISBN: 0-471-81888-7

|  Rui Qi Chen                              University of Guelph     |
|  Computing & Information Science          Guelph, Ontario          |
|  Email: ······@acm.org                    N1G 2W1  CANADA          |
From: Erik Naggum
* Mari Masuda
| Is there a way to do multiline comments in Common LISP/MCL?

* Frank Chen
| Everything placed between a #| and |# is ignored.

  this is not so, actually.  your statement could easily be construed to
  mean that the a #| is terminated by the first following |#, but #| and |#
  comments nest.  this means that it is quite safe to comment out an
  arbitrary amount of code with #| ... |#, quite unlike /* and */ in C,
  which are useless if the region you wish to comment out may contain
  another comment.

#:Erik, picking another nit for my nit collection, soon go to on world tour
--
The year "98" was new 1900 years ago.  |  Help fight MULE in GNU Emacs 20!
Be year 2000 compliant, write "1998"!  |  http://sourcery.naggum.no/emacs/
From: Erik Naggum
* Mari Masuda
| Is there a way to do multiline comments in Common LISP/MCL?

* Frank Chen
| Everything placed between a #| and |# is ignored.

  this is not so, actually.  your statement could easily be construed to
  mean that the a #| is terminated by the first following |#, but #| and |#
  comments nest.  this means that it is quite safe to comment out an
  arbitrary amount of code with #| ... |#, quite unlike /* and */ in C,
  which are useless if the region you wish to comment out may contain
  another comment.

#:Erik, picking another nit for my nit collection, soon to go on world tour
From: �迵��

ank Chen ��(��) �޽���� �ۼ��Ͽ��4ϴ�...

From: Kent M Pitman
Mari <········@colby.edu> writes:

> Is there a way to do multiline comments in Common LISP/MCL?
>
> /*
>    For example, these two sentences would be comments if I was programming
>    in Java.  However, I am not using Java because I'm trying to learn LISP
>    and since I don't know how to do this in LISP I am stuck using a lot of
>    semicolons for now.   :-)
> */
>
> Thanks,
> Mari

 #| Yes,
    there is.
    #| And yes, it nests. |#
  |#

--- KMP's Style Recommendation Notes Follow ---

Btw, if you are commenting out code, you are stylistically
advised to use #||....||# since some editors think that |...|
occurs in balanced pairs (like "...") and that parens don't
have to balance between them; using double-||'s won't affect
Lisp at all, but will make some text editors do better paren
balancing.  When in #||...||#, I  encourage use of ;'s or
#|...|# for text comments since if the #||...||# is removed,
you should have parseable-code left.

 #|| ;The entire rest of this message is useless
     ;and has been commented out.

 #| 1) This is a comment.
    2) It's not a comment containing code.
    3) Parens needn't balance.