From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Save Me! (From Java)
OK, here's the deal. I am beginning development of some software to
implement what has been christened "community". Graphical chat (at its
worst).

I have done some proof-of-concept Java work. As superior as Java may be
to C++, it falls so far short of Lisp that I am looking for an excuse to
blow off the advantages of Java, such as platform independence and small
applets.

Anybody want to help?

As I see it, if I use Lisp I have to do MCL, Allegro and (maybe) Unix
versions. Not the end of the world.

Also, users will have to download a big standalone client app instead of
a smaller applet. And while the applet (I think) will be DL'ed
automatically by a browser, users will have to take a deliberate step to
DL and I guess install the client.

Is my analysis correct? Does the HTML4.0 <object> tag help in anyway?

One thought I have is to develop in Lisp (using only idioms portable to
Java) so at least the development slog is done in Lisp.

The other thought I have is that when my venture goes belly up it might
be good to have Java on the resume. :(

Thx for any insights on Lisp and the Web.

-- Ken
From: Jim White
Subject: Re: Save Me! (From Java)
Ken Tilton wrote in message <·················@liii.com>...
>OK, here's the deal. I am beginning development of some software to
>implement what has been christened "community". Graphical chat (at its
>worst).
>
>I have done some proof-of-concept Java work. As superior as Java may be
>to C++, it falls so far short of Lisp that I am looking for an excuse to
>blow off the advantages of Java, such as platform independence and small
>applets.

I've been doing the same thing for about the last year and a half.  While my
thinking may be a bit different than yours, I did arrive at a similar
decision which is to use LISP (Scheme actually) and Java.  Turns out a very
convenient way to do that is with Kawa which is a Scheme implementation that
compiles to Java bytes codes.

Get it at <http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner/kawa.html>.

jim
James P. White                        Netscape DevEdge Champion for IFC
Director of Technology Adventure Online Gaming http://www.gameworld.com
Developers of Gameworld -- Live Action Role-Playing and Strategic Games
···@aognet.net            Pagesmiths' home is http://www.pagesmiths.com