From: William Barnett-Lewis
Subject: MCL
Hello,

Having recently made the switch to a Mac from the WinTel world, I find
myself looking for a Mac CL. MCL seems to be an excellent
implementation, but there is no way I can afford full cost. I will not
BS them and claim to be a student either. As a result, I was wonderiung
if anyone has an older version that they would be willing to sell to me.

TIA,

William

William Barnett-Lewis
······@mailbag.com

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: MCL
In article <·················@mailbag.com>, William Barnett-Lewis
<······@mailbag.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Having recently made the switch to a Mac from the WinTel world, I find
> myself looking for a Mac CL. MCL seems to be an excellent
> implementation, but there is no way I can afford full cost.

A single issue of MCL costs $345.00 .

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/
From: Alan Fullilove
In article <·······················@kraftbuch.lavielle.com>,
······@lavielle.com (Rainer Joswig) wrote:

> In article <·················@mailbag.com>, William Barnett-Lewis
> <······@mailbag.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Having recently made the switch to a Mac from the WinTel world, I find
> > myself looking for a Mac CL. MCL seems to be an excellent
> > implementation, but there is no way I can afford full cost.
>
> A single issue of MCL costs $345.00 .

If you are a student, it's even less expensive.  I believe less than $150.
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·················@mailbag.com>,
William Barnett-Lewis  <······@mailbag.com> wrote:
>Having recently made the switch to a Mac from the WinTel world, I find
>myself looking for a Mac CL. MCL seems to be an excellent
>implementation, but there is no way I can afford full cost. I will not
>BS them and claim to be a student either. As a result, I was wonderiung
>if anyone has an older version that they would be willing to sell to me.

How about using the shareware PowerLisp?  It may not have all the features
of MCL, but it should be in your price range.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
Support the anti-spam movement; see <http://www.cauce.org/>
From: Ron Parr
I haven't tried PowerLisp in a while, but I found it very unreliable the
last time I checked it out.  Code that worked fine in Allegro or MCL
would produce strange or unpredictable results in PowerLisp.

--
Ron Parr                                       email: ····@cs.berkeley.edu
          Home Page: http://http.cs.berkeley.edu/~parr/
From: Ralph Leonhardt
In article <·················@mailbag.com>,
	William Barnett-Lewis <······@mailbag.com> writes:
> Hello,
>
> Having recently made the switch to a Mac from the WinTel world, I find
> myself looking for a Mac CL. MCL seems to be an excellent
> implementation, but there is no way I can afford full cost. I will not
> BS them and claim to be a student either. As a result, I was wonderiung
> if anyone has an older version that they would be willing to sell to me.
>
> TIA,
>
> William
>
> William Barnett-Lewis
> ······@mailbag.com

You should switch immediatly to the Lintux (Linux/Intel World).
Everything is free
there and there are a lot of LISP implementations.

 		Ralph 8-)

There are three kinds of economists, those who can count and those who can't.
From: Rainer Joswig
Ralph Leonhardt schrieb in Nachricht ...

>You should switch immediatly to the Lintux (Linux/Intel World).
>Everything is free
>there and there are a lot of LISP implementations.

Why should he switch to Linux when Macintosh Common Lisp is
so much better then the "free" stuff?

I'd rather propose he immediately switch to a Lisp machine,
where everything is written in Lisp.
From: Martin Rodgers
Rainer Joswig wheezed these wise words:

> Why should he switch to Linux when Macintosh Common Lisp is
> so much better then the "free" stuff?
>
> I'd rather propose he immediately switch to a Lisp machine,
> where everything is written in Lisp.

As usual, we barely have enough information to begin asking questions
about what is needed. We know a few things: 1) William Barnett-Lewis
has a Mac 2) He has a budget that makes MCL look expensive.

I'm very reluctant to suggest that _anybody_ change OS, esp when
they've only just made such a change. Thus, I guessing that William is
interested in Apple's OS, and not Linux, which is after all available
for his previous machine. While there may be other reasons for
changing machine, his MCL question suggests that it wasn't so that he
could run Linux.

The real question is: who will run the code? If it's a Mac user with
no Lisp machine, then MCL might be the only option, unless they're
happy to acquire a MacIvory card. The developer might prefer all kinds
of options, and if the developer is the only user of the code, then
there are few non-technical constraints. If the code is for somebody
else, then they may make demands not yet discussed here.

Now, if a MacIvory is cheaper than a copy of MCL, and every user
(possibly just the developer) can afford one, this could be ideal.
I'm assuming availability of a MacIvory, as I can't comment on that.

My final comment is a disclaimer. We all like to recommend the tools
we use ourselves. This is only fair, as we have plenty of experience
with them. ;) My experience with MCL or a MacIvory is the same: nil.
--
Please note: my email address is munged; You can never browse enough
         "There are no limits." -- ad copy for Hellraiser
From: Martin B. Pomije
Rainer Joswig wrote:

> Ralph Leonhardt schrieb in Nachricht ...
>
> >You should switch immediatly to the Lintux (Linux/Intel World).
> >Everything is free
> >there and there are a lot of LISP implementations.
>
> Why should he switch to Linux when Macintosh Common Lisp is
> so much better then the "free" stuff?
>
> I'd rather propose he immediately switch to a Lisp machine,
> where everything is written in Lisp.
Since Apple looks like it is going down the tubes, maybe we need
to make the free Lisp implementations better, so that there is
a choice available.(I fully admit that I am not yet qualified to
do so)
Semi-encrypted email address: m_b_p_o_m_i_j_e_ a_t_ i_n_a_v_ d_o_t_
n_e_t_
All non-solicited commercial email will be billed $1,000.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·················@inav.net>, "Martin B. Pomije"
<········@inav.net> wrote:

> Rainer Joswig wrote:
> >
> > Ralph Leonhardt schrieb in Nachricht ...
> >
> > >You should switch immediatly to the Lintux (Linux/Intel World).
> > >Everything is free
> > >there and there are a lot of LISP implementations.
> >
> > Why should he switch to Linux when Macintosh Common Lisp is
> > so much better then the "free" stuff?
> >
> > I'd rather propose he immediately switch to a Lisp machine,
> > where everything is written in Lisp.
> Since Apple looks like it is going down the tubes,

Where did you get this from? I wouldn't want to predict this right now.
Recent Macs are very competetive. I can compile CL-HTTP in under
1 minute 30 seconds on a fast Mac. MCL *eats* source code
on those systems like nothing else. CLIM is coming nearer, etc.

> maybe we need
> to make the free Lisp implementations better, so that there is
> a choice available.(I fully admit that I am not yet qualified to
> do so)

There is no free Common Lisp on the Mac available. PowerLisp
is Shareware and it is as far as you can get as a single
person developing a Common Lisp (fascinating to see). So, if you
want to stick with the Mac, I think MCL is a good investment.
It is mature, easy to use and has a very active user
community. I wouldn't mind to have it ported to Rhapsody - should
I ever switch to this OS on my laptop.

On Unix and Windows we have a choice. Both Harlequin and
Franz have strong implementations. Drawback on Unix: too
expensive. "Free" versions of Common Lisp are mainly
available on Unix systems, which I'm not a particular fan of.
The quality of those is mostly way behind the commercial offerings.
But often they offer enough features to be useful in certain
areas (we have been using GCL and CLISP).

--

Would there anybody be willing to help me to collect informations
on the various Lisp systems available? An extensive standard description

Greetings,

Rainer Joswig

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/
From: Simon Gadbois
> Since Apple looks like it is going down the tubes, maybe we need
> to make the free Lisp implementations better, so that there is
> a choice available.(I fully admit that I am not yet qualified to
> do so)

You are not reading the news...  Apple is actually doing great recently!

Simon Gadbois
Department of Psychology
Life Sciences Centre
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada, B3H 4J1

········@is2.dal.ca
902-494-6809 (office, 2519)
902-494-3603 (Fentress's lab)
902-494-3370 (Moger's lab)
902-494-6585 (fax @ Dalhousie)
902-857-9206

Behavioral (social) endocrinology of the wolf
(aggression and social stress, urinary cortisol).
Sequential and temporal analysis of behavior.